Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thanks to Tom, I finally got to play El Grande after hearing about all the hoopla. Dom, Tom, and I spent a few minutes going over and clarifying rules and then jumped into a game.

I was definitely hooked by the bidding process for the turn order, but overwhelmed by the action cards. I am sure that with more play my choices will be more informed, but the first few rounds, there seemed to be too many decisions to wisely evaluate. I went early with the Move the King/5 Caballero card to protect my lead and get men out on the board, while Tom chose a veto he did not use. Both Tom and I regularly committed men to the Castillo, while Dom rarely tried to compete there.

My the midgame, Dom and Tom were fighting it out for New and Old Castille with a considerable number of men, while I tried to take the lead in most of the outlying regions. I kept Aragon since the beginning of the game, even though someone had changed the region to score only 4 points for the lead.

The last round, I chose the "Score 5 point regions" action card since I had the lead in both of them. That led to a final win for me with 119, while Tom had 109, and Dom had 95.

My first impressions? The game was slightly more cerebral than I expected. Certainly we had a quieter session than the others playing Doom several rooms over . I am not sure I yet understand the balance of the game --- in particular, I do not see the attraction of many of the 1 Caballero action cards. However, I want to try it again with 4 or 5 players and see how that changes the dynamics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Close2nd
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
mschlat (#452704),

Hi Mark

The 1 cabellero action cards definitely get more attention as the board tightens up with more players as the potential changes to position within each area can be significantly affected by moving just a few cabelleros around. The other change you may notice with action card choice is the increased number of action cards that get chosen for defense ie chosen but not played simply to stop someone else gaining an advantage.

Regards
Matt L

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Boykin
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat (#452704),
Were we THAT loud, Mark?

signed,
Boisterous F. Gamer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, playing this gem with only three leaves a lot to be desired. When you play with 5 you have to make tough decisions, do you take the king card, or do you take the scoring card to deny someone the chance to score those regions, etc.

The 1 cards become VERY powerful prior to a scoring round in a 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.