United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
hey everyone, looking for some advice here...

i was in my FLGS today, and saw that their lone copy of the french edition of Dune (with translated manual, etc) has been marked down to $30(US)...just about low enough for me to finally think of buying it...

but, i'm not sure if i should bother...i already have Cosmic Encounter, which i read it is quite similar to...

pros/cons as i see them:

PROS:
can do up to 6 players: my CE is the new AH version, so it can only do 4 players
each faction's power seems a bit more in-depth than the ones in CE, since it has more of a story behind it
more story behind the game itself

CONS:
only 6 powers to choose from
playing time seems significanty longer than CE...this is a bit of a problem with my usual gaming friends

so anyway, i was hoping to get some opinions as to if it's worth it to get for that price, even tho i already have CE...i don't really mind it being the french version, i've read it's not hard to deal with, it's just how similar they are that worries me...

note: i know/like the Dune universe, tho my gaming friends only know of it via me, and have no real exposure to any of it

thanks everyone!

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that if you bought it and didn't like it you could put in onto the BGG marketplace and get the $30 back fairly easily.

Although I have a copy of Dune I haven't played the game since I was at university nearly 15 years ago.

I remember it as being a great game and I'm fairly confident that it will have stood the test of time quite well. I've got plans to play it in 2 weeks so hopefully it'll still have the magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would give you the $30 plus shipping to buy that off the shelf and ship it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Just played dune again a couple of weeks ago. It really is one of the great games. Frankly to my mind it is little or nothing like Cosmic Encounter, which I think is quite overrated. If I saw a copy for $30 U.S., I'd buy it without hesitation...

Re playing time: it can be quite short or fairly long...when I played recently we played two games in less than an hour and a half!

I would say you should just be hoping it's still there when you go back!

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would buy it. If you were looking for people to tell you not to buy it, you came to the wrong place... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune is one of the few board games that I played in the 80's that I still would play at the drop of a hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They really aren't alike, except for the design credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
I would give you the $30 plus shipping to buy that off the shelf and ship it to me.

Make that $35.00. (My original AH copy is rather ragged.)

Some other considerations ... I'm not sure about Dune's current in-print/oop status: Fair Play hasn't had it in stock for a couple months.

You would be getting (I do believe) not just the original game, but 2 expansions as well (neither of which I'm familiar with, but which I've heard detract from the game rather than adding to it).

If you've read the book(s), the game faithfully captures the flavor and character.

I don't find your pros and cons terribly convincing ... Yes, they were both created by the same designers and share basic premises of unique player powers, alliances, and control of x locations, but that's about all. If number of players is of a great concern, Dune is far-and-away best when played with 6, anything fewer unbalances the game to a great degree ... which faction(s) do you not leave in? Yes, CE generates seemingly endless combinations of powers, but I think you'll find it's more than offset by the depth involved in playing Dune.

Unless you are facing some other serious game purchase choices, I'd say go for it. If you don't like it, you'll get your money back plus.

And, if you've been thinking about a Dune purchase for some time, just remember ... he who hesitates is lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune is an excellent game, however the time length can be unpredictable. Two players can potentially quickly make a dual win, or it can drag on quite awhile. The one element I've found with the game compared to CE is that with Dune the game really only comes together when you have six players. The design really assumes that there are checks and balances in play with the various player powers and so when you play with less than five it can suddenly become too easy or too hard to succeed depending on the power involved. You can play with less but it really shines with six. CE on the other hand scales a little better, though the AH edition is really inadequate compared to the earlier editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At $30 you should be able to get your money back no problem should you decide you don't like it. It would also be good trade bait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
At $30 you should be able to get your money back no problem should you decide you don't like it. It would also be good trade bait.

yeah, i think i'll go with this idea...i'll pick it up tonight after work, and try it out at least once with my friends....if we like it cool... if we don't like it, it seems i have many options of what to do with it

thank you everyone, i appreciate the input!

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

well, we're all anxiously awaiting a report of what happened ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't know the odds of anyone actually keeping up on this thread...i myself had forgotten it until searching old posts by myself for something else i posted...

but i noticed that the last post here said you were all anxiously awaiting an update, so here it is: nothing.

yes, i bought the game...it appears quite cool, i've read through the rules multiple times, i've sorted out the pieces into little snack-sized zip-lock bags, etc... we simply haven't had a chance to play it yet!

if anyone seems to notice, and/or care that i've posted this (information-blackhole) update, i'll post again (assuming i think of it) once we have played!

thanks again for all the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

as am I ...
(I'd just kept it as a subscribed thread ... imagine my surprise!)

if you'd like to see a game in progress ...
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/In_My_Fathers_House/

those tanks are looking pretty full right now, we just had 5 battles that involved all 6 factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone (and by "everyone", i mean anyone still subscribed on this thread )

Just wanted to give an (important) update:

I have decided to sell my copy of Dune. I have had it now for over 7 months, and it has never been played.

Edition: Descartes, French edition.

Condition: Open, fully punched, all pieces sorted into plastic "snack size" sealable bags.

Includes English manual (this came with in the box originally), which contains single-sided player aids in English, to be copied. I have included several copies of the double-sided players aid found on the Dune BGG page (uploaded by me, it's the 2-side version of one that was already on BGG).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

I wanted to post this here first, since you all helped answer my questions...therefore, I wanted to give those here the option to buy it, if any of you are still interested, before I took it elsewhere.

Thank you,
Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.