Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had the opportunity to play this game with 6 other members of LIBO, the Long Island Baordgaming Organization, Chris, John, Joe, Debbie, Anna Maria and Andrew. I spent much of the game in the seat next to the King, in a position that limited my choice of roles significantly. I spent the game trying to develop a strong, balanced empire with high point total buildings (which are less attractive for the warlord to crush because of their cost) in an attempt to gain the +3 bonus for having all 4 types of tiles. I never took cards as my action instead of gold because gold seemed hard to come by and the architect role brought two cards instead of 1 for free. Unfortunately I only had the opportunity to use the architect once and I thus did not have a great selection of cards for the whole game -- which also shielded me and my relatively high point building cards from the magician's card trading power (in fact at the end of the game I had no cards left). I was the victim of only one screw-over when Chris correctly reasoned that I had taken the merchant card and robbed me of 3 gold that I had been saving to build a purple (special powered) building. Chris later foiled my plans again by assassinating me when I had inadvertently chosen a role that he had announced to the table that he was going to kill. Ultimately I developed slowly, avoided becoming the victim of attacks by trailing behind Andrew (early) and Debbie, who did a good job of avoiding building destruction by clever card play herself. When Anna Maria ended the game she earned 7 bonus points which I thought gave her the victory but, in fact, my high point value buildings were enough to win (with 26 points), although I was never able to achieve any of the bonus victory conditions (I held 4 of the 5 colors and 6 of the 7 required buildings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.