Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When using "view all images" for a game, would it be possible to display the file size of the full-sized image? This didn't used to be a big issue for me, but recently it seems that the image files people are uploading are getting bigger and bigger. I'm seeing big download delays on broadband, so I don't know how dialup users are coping.

Note that I am only asking for more information on screen, not to limit the size of image - I can appreciate that on some occassions a large image is the best way to show detail of something.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I find it very irritating that people post huge images to the database. Quite apart from the storage size and download time, you just can't see them.

I now rate any image that doesn't basically fit on the screen in 1024x768 resolution a 3 or lower. It's just pointless to post an image that is unviewable for most people on their browser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be nice to just keep images over 1024 from even being uploaded in my opinion. Even if I had a huge resolution screen, I still wouldn't want to download something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jones
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to keep in mind that some here are less techically proficient than others. There's an eagerness to post but a lack of knowledge over what's the correct size of image.

Several of the first images I posted turned out to be huge, going off the page pics. It wasn't what I intended, but I must have had the image size set wrong when I converted the images down to manageable JPEGs. I couldn't find any specific guidelines on the Geek. When I realized what had happened, I e-mailed the mods to ask if they could shrink and resave the images, but they must be too busy to do it or to respond.

So, two suggestions.

1. A paragraph in the image download area which specifically discusses the specs of uploaded images. (If there already is one, ignore this.)

2. When they approve them, the mods should reduce images that are too big to fit the screen.

Ipecac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I went to upload my images I looked to see if there was a max size listed but there wasn't so I just uploaded them at the default size they are from my 3megapixle camera. I didn't feel like taking the time to resize them to some arbitrary size since BGG didn't enforce an particular size max. Consiquently my images are about 1M in file size... is that too big? As cameras get better and better resolution this is going to be more and more of a problem unless Aldie and Derk decided to put in a max image size, becuase most people (like me) are just too lazy to change the resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to do something like what the PHP Gallery does - if the image is big, it shows a smaller representative image and lets you click on it to see the larger one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
good!

I for one don't mind huge files. And sometimes want good res so I can get a better idea of the quality of some games.

If you were to resize everything or limit the size of a file then I feel photo's will lose some of their usefullness.
-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be pretty much perfect, if I understand you correctly.

So you would have a "thumbprint" (i.e. what you see in the "view all images" mode), clicking through to a size-optimised version, but with the option of clicking that for the original-sized image.

You could even make it a user preference whether to use optimised or full-sized images. But I don't want to make too much work for you!

Many thanks for listening

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
Consiquently my images are about 1M in file size... is that too big?

The image that prompted my post was about 3Mb, and scrolled off my screen every which way.

Melsana wrote:
As cameras get better and better resolution this is going to be more and more of a problem unless Aldie and Derk decided to put in a max image size, becuase most people (like me) are just too lazy to change the resolution.

I tend to think that we should at least make an effort. The images I have so far uploaded are not perfect, but in each case I took the time to load them into something like PhotoEdit and reduce them down - this took less than a minute per image. My images are coming in at around 100-120Kb each (reduced from several Mb), and although my actual photography sucks, I think they still have plenty of definition.

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/69802 for an example - that is 116Kb.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another issue is "jpg quality"... two pictures of the same resolution could have vastly different file sizes (which is definitely an issue for dialup users) due to chosen compression rate / "superfine quality" camera setting.

Look at this one (from Louis XIV - Intrigue in the Court of the Sun King): it's a FANTASTIC picture compositionally... but not only is it huge by dimensions, it's also disproportionately large in file size compared to most pictures at those dimensions. It's roughly 4 megs. Even if it were cut down to a quarter of its area (halve its width, halve its length, to a more reasonable 1200x800) it would probably be a too-big file if it keeps its present compression rate.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/67718

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... that is gorgeous pic... I don't know anything about the game but that pic sure peaked my interest. (I'm on a LAN so it downloaded with no problems for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/69802 for an example - that is 116Kb.

It looks good, but there is still a lot of dead space in the image of the table. By tightening up the placement of pieces and instructions, you could crop out a good 1/3 or perhaps 1/2 the photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yuk You see? now THAT is 'what' I'm going on about in regards to 'cropping them DOWN' in size! For those IDJITS that can NOT accomplish 'this', then maybe they should allow someone ELSE to 'do' this for them! Good GAWD! I'd almost EXPECT for 'them' to have to provide US with a "bag of popcorn" to 'munch on' while we await this monstrosity to fully 'appear', or the many others! QUIT IT!
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to finish up here by thanking the BGG guys for their fix for this problem. Excellent work, and pretty darned quick, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.