Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Ryu
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
In a PBEM game, Player A played a Counterspy on me. I happened to have a Blowback in my hand. (And, as it turns out, Counterspy is the card he wanted to take.)

I argued that I can use the Blowback to make him look at his OWN hand instead of mine. The (relevant) text of Counterspy is:

"Alternatively, may be played to look at one player's cards. You may keep one and add it to your hand."

Blowback cannot change the owner of the card, which is Player A, so I cannot use the card to look at his hand and take a card. However, I can control the play of the card and change the target from me to him. There doesn't seem to be any reason that he cannot be the target. After all, he is "one player."

Harry, is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Question on Blowback/Counterspy
smauggy (#453440),

Yep, sure is.

Regards
Harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vogelzang
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
Harry Rowland (#453444),

This leaves me confused. Counterspy reads "Alternatively may be played to look at 1 player's cards. Steal 1 to add to your hand." How can I be a valid target for myself to steal from? That doesn't add anything to my hand!

Kompa Nanzi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
KompaNanzi (#454248),

If you deny yourself as a target for blowback, you minimise the usefulness of the blowback card, particularly in a few player game.

Regards
Harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aran Warszawski
Israel
Rehovot
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought that you can play blow back on counetrspy and make you the player and him the target, that is look at the counterapy player hand and take a card from him to the blowback player. amd I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Montgomery
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
No - Blowback lets you control the play of a card it doesn't change who played the card.
In the case of a silver mine it lets you choose which empire gets the money.
In the case of Vizier it doesn't let you change anything - the card only lets the player take the top discard there is no choice once it is played.

In the case of Counterspy the player of the card looks at a player's hand and may keep a card - blowback lets you choose which hand the look at (even their own) and which card they keep (note you don't get to see this cards so effectivly it is random)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.