Subject: Email Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Allen
United States
Unspecified
Kansas
flag msg tools
Can you sneak Frodo into Mordor with ease? Are you the most evil Shadow player out there? I'm wondering if there are people out there wanting to take the Light vs. Dark battle into an email tourney. I've never done anything like this, so I want to keep it small for this debut.
First off, if you're interested, you have to choose a side to play for the entire email tourney, Light or Dark. There will be a maximum of 8 players per side, so if you're interested reply quickly to get in. If this is you, reply here (not with a message to me) and state which side you want to be, and which number you are to request that side.

The format will be decided after I have the needed players. More than likely it will be a standard elimination tourney (with a back side to let everyone play at least two games).
It's time for Mordor March Madness.
Oh, and it will be the standard game without variation/handicap cards.
I'll start out by taking the side I suck at---
#1 LIGHT SIDE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Lautert
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Email Tournament
Hi Mike,
I would like to participate, even if I do not like the fact that we have to pick a side for the entire tournement.
Anyway, I prefer Dark.
Cheers
Franklin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeallenkc (#453627),

How is this going to be implemented?

Will you be using ACTS? Will players simultaneously e-mail cards used when fights happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict that dark will win. Crushingly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeallenkc (#453627),

Dark will win without an effort, but
put me down with the good guys list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, put me down for Dark.

We must choose to ally ourselves, with the dark lord, to survive...

You cannot win against the combined power of Sauron and Saruman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Since everyone seems so certain that the Dark Lord has already won, I shall lend my considerable skills to the Fellowship! Huzzah!

(Actually, I don't mind taking Dark, either. Whatever makes the tourney start sooner...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you going to make players play the same side during the whole tournament? The only way that is possible is if the wins are split between dark and light every round... I'd say just do the play 2 games and add up the pieces thing like suggested in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Cruo (#455649),

I believe it will be round-robin of Dark vs Light, rather than a bracketed tourny. Of course, there's a confound on player strength on the two sides...

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#456076),

Join the dark side! sauron

We need to crush those hobbitses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Allen
United States
Unspecified
Kansas
flag msg tools
Octavian (#456076),

The round-robin style is exactly what I had in mind. I show four who indicated they would like to play--CapAp, Alexfrog, easterly1, flautert. Anyone else interested, send me a message by Saturday morning or so and we'll get you onboard. I'll put all the details in this thread Sunday or Monday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bouzada
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mikeallenkc (#453627),

I would like to play with the Dark side.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Marco (#456203),

To control for the confound of player strength you should do a second round robin with the sides reversed. Or, simply have everyone play one another twice, once with each side. Since you're only interested in winning percentage of the two sides you can ignore number of surviving pieces.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Allen
United States
Unspecified
Kansas
flag msg tools
Octavian (#456324),

For this tournament we have seven participants, Mike Allen, John Snyder, Alex Rockwell, Marc Magnera, Franklin Lautert, Marco Bouzada and Michael Sibley. Since we ended up with an odd number of players, I've decided to change the format a bit. Everyone will play four games, two as the Light Side, two as the Dark. I drew names randomly for the match-ups and which side the players will be. As there are an odd number of players, every other round will require one person to play two matches (which also means that person will have one round where they will not play a match). I'm going to assume double-duty for the first round. (John, I hope you don't mind; I assigned you double duty for round three.)

For each match, you will be need to contact your opponent and decide how you're going to play, whether it be by email, ACTS, or whatever means you would like. The mentioned methods can take awhile to play, so we'll shoot for a time frame of about a week for each round of matches. Hopefully we can meet that approximation so the tourney can wrap up in under a month.

To determine the success of each player, all we'll consider are wins--pieces remaining will not be a factor. This being the case, we likely won't have a single "winner" due to the fact that a pair or more will probably have identical records. We could have a show-down after the four games if the players want to.

While there has been much stated that Dark will dominate, I'm a bit skeptical. I'm going to predict Dark will win roughly 60% of the games.
And now, here are the first round match-ups.

Mike--Light vs. John--Dark
Alex--Light vs. Franklin--Dark
Marco--Light vs. Michael--Dark
Marc--Light vs. Mike--Dark

When the game has finished, please post a comment on the thread here with the results, along with any comments you want to make. After two of the games are completed, I'll publish the second pairings.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Lautert
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeallenkc (#457481),

Alex and I have completed our game in ACTS.
I won as Dark.

It was a rather balanced game, with no major losses. As usual, when it happens without the special cards, Light did not have much chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco and I have completed our game.

I won as Dark. It was probably the best game I've played as Dark- it seemed like every card played was the right one.

Thank you for the excellent game, Marco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.