Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't Company Tiles retained for the entire game? It seems too easy for someone to take a Company Tile that they don't need just to keep the bonus points away from someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Company Tile Possession
Kevin Rohrer (#453684),

The company tile is worth gold.

It costs one of your 30 precious actions.

If you take one simply to keep it out of another player's hands then your relative gain is against only that one player and is the amount of gold they would have collected. However, all the other players also gain that advantage against the targeted player.

Since these other players will still have an action to use, you will be losing ground against each of them. The value of what you lose is whatever they choose to do with their action.

So it might be easy to go ahead and take that company tile, but it is not likely to be to your net advantage (although it is possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul hits the nail on the head. Struggle is full of tiles that are free to take, but which you only actually want to grab in situations where you can get some direct benefit out of them. Time is definitely worth more than another player's income in all but the most extreme situations in this title.

In a similar instance, you could raid people all day with revolts and piracy, but if you didn't have an army or navy there to clean up the mess you would only be doing the other players favours. And on, and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, if you're allied with someone, sometimes your most profitable action can be pirates or slave revolt. When vying for the lead with another player, particularly late in the game, a relative advantage against that player can be worth it.

That said, it's nearly always a poor move to take a company tile you can't use. There's a big difference between depriving someone of 4 points and depriving them of 6 gold (which is really only 3 unrest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
On the other hand, if you're allied with someone, sometimes your most profitable action can be pirates or slave revolt. When vying for the lead with another player, particularly late in the game, a relative advantage against that player can be worth it.

Oh, I agree completely Chris, I was just trying to make the point that in general just because a tile is free doesn't mean you should be taking / using it repeatedly.

The revolt and pirate tiles are some of the most potentially nasty special situation options in the game, I was just saying that taking them every time they're available, for their own sake, like any of the free tiles, would be a very bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.