Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone want to try a game of AH's MIDWAY using PBEM...I think it should be really easy seeing as it's a double blind game to start with...
Let me know...or if you have a different game to try!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you even own Midway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
but of course I do...ok, so I'm not the best of keeping my owned list up to date..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I dont own anything on your "list". Are there any Cyberboard Games you would be willing to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Germany? Historical...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that game have a cyberboard gamebox? I would need a copy of the rules as well. Im down for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Traylor
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
Mike:

I'd like to try a PBEM Midway game, or better - a Vassal real-time game. Vassal has a Midway 64 module you can download and use for free. Has the boards and counters, a die roller, chat capability - have played a couple of Panzer Leader games already with the PL module. Let me know if/when.

Mark Traylor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Traylor
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
Re: MIDWAY - Vassal Live
Mike and I played a virtual face to face game of Midway, using the tournament and optionalrules, last week. Had a great time and no issues with synchronization or saving. Double blind feature worked fine. Honor system of course, which is never a problem with most of us anyway. I'm working on setting up another one with Wargamer55 this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Traylor
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
Re: MIDWAY? - PBEM
After squirreling around trying to figure out how to send a game file of Midway without showing your own search board - it came to me that all that really needs exchanging graphically is the battle board - duh! Make two game files, one with nothing on the search board, to trade for battle resolutions. So if anybody wants to play Midway PBEM I'm up for it. Bill Skulley and I are trying to get one going, but I delayed the whole thing a week with my senior moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Traylor
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
Re: MIDWAY VASSAL Live and PBEM
Finished a live game with Wargamer55 last night - pretty aggressive, total ship loss when the game was called at 0500 June 4th was nine - two carriers and seven cruisers! We used a new module provided by a contact from the Vassal engine site - very nice graphically and the boards/charts were more sophisticated WRT drop down, retaining data once closed and brought back up, invisible and masked search counters.

I'm going to try a PBEM game now with Bill Skulley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Traylor
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
MIDWAY 64 on Vassal
Have had good success finding opponents for Midway 64 on the Vassal engine. Somebody sent me an improved module which is easy to use and looks good. Just finished a game with Bill Skulley, an unanswerable attack pretty much did the IJN in. A rule we used - no step 17 (announce exact zone planes came from and to where going) I thought a bit over the top. Unless you can acquire and track a task force early on, its almost impossible to find them. Having to report where the attack which just gutted you came from gives some reasonable chance for the victim to recover and strike back a few turns later. Upon further thought regarding the claim that its not realistic for such exact information to be provided, hence the idea to not use step 17, I recall that the Americans found the Japanese carriers by following the course of a destroyer rejoining the task force, aircraft radio communications were not encrypted, and often enemy aircraft would attempt to follow US strike groups back into the carrier landing patterns later in the war. All that said - I prefer to leave the rules as is, there's enough variance with interpretation alone without adding or dropping sections of text.

Anybody else want to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.