Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I just listened to Ted's audio review and this game sounds very nice. Since there are no rules posted, I wonder if anyone has come up with a two player variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:2 Player Variant
jmilum (#454099),
The wunderland site has variations for 2 players.
http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Kory/Games/Zendo/VariationsFor...

They also have rules and many good tips there.
http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Kory/Games/Zendo/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:2 Player Variant
Thanks a lot Malachi. That's just what I needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So of those 2 player variants listed, which one (or combination) have people had the best experiences with. I really want to play this with my wife, but unless I introduce the 2-player experience to her in such a way that she has a good impression, it might turn her off to trying it again.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McD
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Here is a 2-player invariant I made up

Requirements:

Exactly 2 players, usual Zendo equipment, plus three 6-sided dice.

Overview:

Each player gets 3 "rounds" as Master -- you take turns being master for a total of 6 rounds. At the end of 6 rounds, if both players have a negative number of points, both players lose. Otherwise, the player with the most points wins (if players have the same # of points, both players win).

Rounds:

Throughout a round, one player is the "Master" & the other player the "Student". A round consists of two parts:
(part 1) Setup. The Master rolls the three 6-sided dice so the Student cannot see. These dice are to be left as is, but covered so the Student cannot see their value. The "total roll" is the value of the dice plus 2. Next the Master invents a rule, and writes the rule down on a slip of paper, to be hid from the Student's sight as the dice were. As usual, the Master builds two example koans for his/her rule.
(part 2) Turns. The rest of the round consists of the Student taking turns. Each turn, the Student must build a koan , and then the Master must judge that koan (there is no 'mondo' option). The Student may make a guess at the Master's rule once at the end of each turn. Each time the rule is incorrectly guessed, the Master must build a counter-example koan (as usual).

The round ends when the Student correctly guesses the Master's rule, or when the total number of new koans in play (this excludes the two initial koans, but includes the counter-example koans) exceeds the Master's "total roll".

Scoring:

If the round ended with the Student correctly guessing the Master's rule, the Student gets a number of points equal to the difference between the Master's dice roll and the total number of new koans in play (this excludes the two initial koans, but includes the counter-example koans).

If the round ended because the total number of new koans in play exceeded the Master's "total roll", then the Student gets 0 points and the master gets -3 points.

If the Master is caught cheating, the master gets -6 points and the Student gets 0 points.

Repeat of Overview, plus Strategy:

Each player gets 3 "rounds" as Master -- you take turns being master for a total of 6 rounds. At the end of 6 rounds, if both players have a negative number of points, both players lose. Otherwise, the player with the most points wins (if players have the same # of points, both players win).

The strategy of the Student should be to guess the Master's rule as soon as possible. Since the highest dice roll (plus 2) is a 20 (and since 19 is a very unlikely dice roll), the student may want to give up trying if the number of new koans in play is 16 or more (or perhaps less -- you can decide).

The strategy of the Master is to pick a rule that has just the right level of difficulty. The Master doesn't want to create a rule so difficult that the student cannot guess correctly within the time alloted (due to the Master's "total roll") -- but even worse would be to create a rule so easy that the student guesses the rule right away & gets a large number of points.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try the variant posted by adam but in the meantime. Are the official ones available anywhere? I dont like random dice rolls in a game like this...although it might be interesting.

The links in this thread did not work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Stone
England
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the official 2 player variant too (possibly called Dharma Duel?) but can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have a link to it or a pdf they could upload please?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Brown
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm also interested in finding the rules for Dharma Duell but unable to find a good link for those rules The icehouse.org link that tells you to go to the following link, but that site is down:

http://www.koryheath.com/games/zendo

Suggestions anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Stone
England
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just uploaded some 2 player variants to the files section including Dharma Duel. Found them with the Wayback Machine. Should be there soon pending admin approval.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.