Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian and I kicked off our second day of our Weekend O Gaming by pulling out Wizard Kings. After a brief read through the rules we picked our forces and got ready to go!

I selected the Elves mainly because I wanted to show Brian what flyers can do in this game. Brian chose the Amazons because, "They're hot!"

I selected map 1 for my side, and Brian chose map 5. He arranged the map so that the mountain range was close to the forest hexes at the edge of my map (5 and 1 at opposite corners of the map).

I won initiative, and launched an attack along the right side of the map. However, Brian launched a sledgehammer of blows against the units (he brought 2 wizards) and forced me back. I lost one of my wizards in the process, but his Charmers were both reduced to one factor. Things looked even worse after one of his wizards and another unit ran down and took one of my southeastern cities. I responded by sending a force of rangers and pixies up the middle through the forest and to the base of the mountains. He attempted to attack this force, but the pixies decided to see, "What is on the other side of these mountains?"

From there, the pixies were able to occupy strategically vital hexes from which they could threaten 3 different cities each. So Brian's offensive sputtered as he had to divert more troops to covering his rear areas. This gave me time to mass some forces on my right flank, and to have a wizard decide that Treeks really do know how to fly. When he finally attack, my forces held, and sent his streaming back. Meanwhile, one of my pixies found an ungarrisoned 2 GP town which I took, and then subsequently defended from an attack.

That gave me the strength I needed to press my attack, but we called the game because both of my sons woke up and it was getting close to dinner. So we gave the Elves the victory based upon my several turns of greater production vs. the Amazons.

The more I play this game the more I like it. Brian had issues with the retreat rules, but I pointed out to him, that the same rules applied to him as well. I just had greater mobility than his forces. I also pointed out that aside from the pixies, I would not be able to assault either of his forward cities due to hex side limits. Whereas, strictly on the ground, his forces had far greater mobility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.