Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ido Magal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just recently gotten the grognard bug. Any local groups for gaming / discussing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's the Metro Seattle Gamers, about three blocks from my house in Ballard. Not sure what they're into, but they seem to have a wargame bent. I think you can find out about them from www.dragonflight.org. Links there to MSG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I know that Gary's games in Seattle (Greenwood) has an ASL meeting every other Saturday or so, but I work Saturdays so I've never been.

If you're looking for someone from King County who is new to wargaming and looking for a group then check out my profile. Anyone else in the area who has similar interests (but can't hang with the hardcore ASLers quite yet) should pipe in here too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in King County (live in Snohomish County) and I've often wondered the same thing. If anyone else is interested in actually *starting* such a group, I might be game. I love Gary's Games, but the idea of meeting at a game store isn't appealing to me. To me, an ideal wargaming group would meet maybe twice a month at someone's house, with rotating hosts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
KĂžbenhavn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Seattle on the UW campus, and I'm really very interested in wargames. I've never played a real wargame before, so I'm very interested.

Always interested in meeting new gamers, so anyone can drop me a line if they want to get together to play some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since initial meetings are crucial, and one bad game could kill the start of a good thing, I recommend you play something like Stuggle of Empires to ensure everyone has a good time, you all get a little of that war game feel, and you can decide what level of wargame you want to play later.

I notice that a lot of the games on your list are block games. The difference between a block game and ASL is like the difference between a good 150 page novel and War & Peace!

There are so many great medium-complexity wargames to choose from. I suggest picking from those already vetted by wargamers...don't get anything released in the last year. These games can look good after three or four people have playtested them, and fall apart when the first 1000 purchasers give them a go.

Chris Farrell's list would be good. I also think Sword of Rome is a blast (I've just violated the one-year old rule). L2's edition of Bitter Woods is a lot of fun, pretty easy to learn, and can be played in one session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Magal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, Chris Farrell's introductory guide to wargames is my shopping list, if you can't tell by wargames I now own.

I've been stocking up on Columbia's line, as well as picking up other low to medium complexity games, such as Storm over Arnhem and Breakout: Normandy. I'd love to join/create a group so I wouldn't always drive the process / instruct.

Ideally it'd be a spacious, clean environment.

I initially recoiled from the idea of Struggle for Empires, but actually, having a group that focused on any of the heavier games, whether it be Age of Steam, Die Macher, or Breakout:Normandy is fine with me, since I have no other regular avenue to play those, either. Call it a "2 hour minimum" gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well...if you all are willing to drive over to Wenatchee, I'll be happy to host . If you think it's hard to get a group together to play over in Seattle, you should try somewhere really tough.

And I'm only partially kidding...I'd seriously love to host an occasional "wargame" (read that as any game that takes longer than 3 or 4 hours) day. You can look at my collection, but I own Europe Engulfed, Sword of Rome, Struggle of Empires, die Macher, Age of Steam (soon to have all expansions), La Citta, Wallenstein etc.. I've got a room with a dedicated game table that can hold games over multiple sessions....

C'mon...an occasional rood trip can be fun..

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm bookmarking this thread as I enjoy wargames and live in the area, but have nowhere near enough time to actually, uh, *play* many - certainly note enough to get good. I'm kind of an "occasional drop-in" kind of guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Magal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enough drop-ins and we've got a group.

if we get more interest, that is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I guess I might as well explain my name...

m:cafe isn't just some strange tag I came up with, it's actually the name of my business. It's a coffee shop with a light brunch menu and it seats about 15 inside with a huge courtyard for sunny days.

It's located in Fremont right by the bridge so it should be easy for everyone to find.

If this sounds like an environment you might like to game in I can make plans...just give me enough positive feed-back and I'll set it up.

--Steven Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
I love Gary's Games, but the idea of meeting at a game store isn't appealing to me.

I'm curious why you don't like the idea of playing at a game store.

I'm actually just about to head out to a local store for our weekly game night and it's always a lot of fun. The side bonus of meeting at the store is that we sometimes pick up new players from people passing through (or from the MtG ranks.) Also, the store is also open, where as trying to figure out who's house to have the session is going to be at can be a pain. (Perhaps not in your group, but in mine, it is.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Magal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally,

My group requires some sort of refreshments available, preferably alcoholic in nature.

as for game stores, since i'm generally not willing to pay retail prices, I'd be uncomfortable using their space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
m:cafe wrote:
It's located in Fremont right by the bridge so it should be easy for everyone to find.

If this sounds like an environment you might like to game in I can make plans...just give me enough positive feed-back and I'll set it up.

Steven - sounds nice, and we'll try to give you some business - games or no - next time we head through the Center of the Universe (happy to support a Geek!).

Are you sure though, about hosting wargames in such a small venue? My memories of restaurant work back in school was that campers were kind of a pain at best, and could become a real problem sometimes.

While we occasionally play short games (think Cartagena, Wyatt Earp, LotR: Confrontation) in a pub or bar & grill - early, before it starts getting busy - it's hard for me to imagine being comfortable playing a 3+ hr game in a commercial establishment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, actually "camping is what this place is best suited for. Comfy couch and armchairs + internet access (+ four tables suitable for gaming).

I don't reckon it would be all that large of a group at first, and if it got out of hand I could tweak the process as necessary. As long as we don't take up more than two or three tables we should be fine. So...I'd say a group of six or so would be ideal. If I can get 4 people to commit to any specific day
I'll run with it. Perhaps three featured games a session...That over there's the Napoleon table, Afrika Korps here, and the first game to finish gets replaced by...you get the idea.

As a small business owner I don't get nearly the time I would like to play games (although coming home to a lady that enjoys them helps a lot) so this would be a nifty way for me to combine the two things that take up sp much of my time.

As for beverages, fan boy, I'm afraid caffeine will have to do until closing time at 7pm...but I've been known to quaff few with friends after hours. Actually, my girlfriend and I broke in our copy of Axis & Allies here with a six pack.

Anyway, I'll consider "Them" a maybe. Three more maybe's and I'll set a date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Anderson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm new to this site (haven't even setup my profile and such yet), and new to wargaming, but in general I love almost any game (board, computer, card, etc). I live in Ballard and you can consider me a maybe as well, assuming you guys are ok with explaining the basics to a new player. I do have a lot of experience with other strategy games such as Risk and Chess, so I should be able to pick most games up quickly. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Why doesn't someone 're-Start' the "Gaming Club" on the 'U.W.' Campus? It HAS to 'involve' a currently attending 'Student', or maybe even a 'Faculty Member'~would be MOST 'desirable'. The 'Veterans' of THIS from the very early '1980s & '90s' are the ONES behind the "Metro Seattle Gamers" group! We used to be able to MEET on Saturday & Sunday mornings at "the HUB"(the 'Student Union Building') in the 'conference Rooms' and later on or WHEN those are "being used", then some other building just down the 'road' from there. It would also 'help much' if there were MANY 'Students' as members as you can get, so Good Luck on this. There have even been instances in which a 'Gamer's Group' such as the "Boeing Employees"-were able to obtain a 'discount' at the merchandiser's shops, but you'll NEED a pretty decent sized 'Group' shopping constantly, for this to ever 'happen'.

P.S.-the "Metro Seattle Gamers" is IN 'Ballard' just a couple of houses DOWN from the 'McDonalds' on '54th' just beyond the "Ballard Market" grocery store(if THAT is still around)
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Anderson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I graduated from UW a couple of years back, but still have many friends working and going to school there... Would the person responsible for the club actually have to be an active member, or could they just sorta sign their name on the paper? Most of the people I still know there aren't much into games. As far as MSG, are you referring to Market Street, or 17th Street, or what? 45th feeds onto 46th then becomes Market Street before you get to Mcdonald's... I'm having a hard time picturing where you are placing these guys, since McD's is approximately on Market and 17th, and the Ballard Market is on 15th and 57th or so... If we get this group started, I can also probably host sometimes, since my Condos have a nice shared space that we can check out... It has a kitchen and a large room with a couch and chairs and such... Can't picture what tables are in there as I don't go down very often, but I'm sure there is something we can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dragonflight.org links to the MSG address and other info. I think I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
'correction' it should BE as '54th & 14th NW' for the location of the 'Mc~D's that I am 'thinking of', so JUST a 'block' SOUTH of where I figured it'd 'be' and off'n 'Market St.' and down the 'block' EAST of the "Ballard Market", okay?
robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Anderson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah I goofed up my streets too, I meant Market and 14th (not 17th) for McD's. It *IS* on Market street, but takes up the block to 54th as well. When do you plan on going m:cafe? I may stop by if I am in the neighborhood, though at least one day this weekend I'm going to be out of town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I got two more interested off-line so it looks like it would have been a go.

Unfortunately my business partner dies last week, so it looks like I'll be selling the business.

If anyone sets anything else up like this (a wargame group for newbies) you can count me in.

m:cafe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Anderson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steven,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Is there no way you can keep the business running? Is it still open now? I was really looking forward to checking it out, whether we played there or not.

Why don't we plan a day to meet at MSG, just to get to know everyone who is interested. As I said before, I may be able to host the group at least once in a while, but I need to check out my shared space at my condos a bit more first. Also, meeting at MSG may benefit us in that there may be other activities to keep the more veteran people busy while us newer players learn the basics...

I'm off most fridays and saturdays - when are the rest of you available to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that my business partner was also the cook, so without him I would have to completely restructure the business. I will be open while the cafe is up for sale (coffee only) so you can come by between 11 and 7 if you want to have a look. There is a small possibility that I might host something here while the affairs are being arranged, but most likely I'd rather meet at MSG.

I'm a little too busy to take the reigns on it now, however, so if anyone else does I'll keep this thumbmarked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.