United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm pissed at Ticketmaster... I spent a couple of hours trying to "buy" tickets for U2 online and on via phone Saturday morning. I failed... How is it possible for a concert venue of > 20,000 seats to be completely sold out within 1 minute after going on sale?! I literally put my first request in as soon as the page let me and it immediately comes back with a "No tickets found". The phone was the same way, I was never able to get through.

What a crock of shit - WTG TicketMaster! shakeshakeshake So now I'm forced to pay exorbitant scalper prices if the wife and I want to see them Irish boys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Been there. Done that. Of course, this was back in my college days when there was no online purchasing. But it was usually the same result.

The ticket "brokers" used to always have plenty of tickets to all the good shows, though. I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy, so we could sometimes get seats that were as good as we were willing to pay for. Very annoying, but better than missing out.

Interesting but completely irrelevant story...One time, I was hanging out at a mall in Minnesota (while visiting my Dad), and there was a ticket booth. I went over to talk to this pretty girl working there. She told me that sometimes radio stations release tickets a couple hours before concerts when contest winners fail to pick them up. Lo and behold, right that minute, a local station released a pair of good tickets for The Cure. They were not front row center, but front row of a balcony that almost hung right over the side of the stage. Nice, actually, because I was almost as close as people in the first few rows, but I didn't have to stand the whole time, nobody was in front of me and I didn't have to crane my neck to look up. Naturally, I bought them both and then invited her to go with me, and we had a great time.

It's all true, except the part about inviting the girl. I'm a doofus. D'oh!

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... Technically I used to work for them, but not in the main business. Working for TM doesn't get you any breaks on tickets, BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the problem with U2 is that there is a premium fan club membership that allows people to pre-order before the general public gets to. So basically for (i think) a $50 premium you get to preorder tickets.

I also understand the Ticketmaster hatred. I have been in line at the actual venue waiting for tickets to go on sale only to be told that the best available seating is in the 2nd balcony. What the hell is that?! Why did I even bother waiting in line.

My advice... find a decent U2 cover band playing in a local club. Get there early so you can get yourself a table and play a few games while you're waiting. Then when the band starts just enjoy the live music in the intimate club setting. What does it matter if the band playing doesn't look the same, you wouldn't get to see the real band in a big arena anyway. The music will be just as good (maybe better if the club has good acoustics) for FAR less money. I've done that with AC/DC and Cheap Trick cover bands and have been extremely pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the evil underworld of ticket brokers, which probably got all the tickets before you even had a chance!

Evil bastards.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I spent a couple of hours trying to "buy" tickets for U2...
completely sold out within 1 minute

Sounds like they did you a favor!
Sorry, I'm not a U2 fan.
Quote:
I'm forced to pay exorbitant scalper prices

More exorbitant that TMs "service charge"? They're the biggest scalper out there! Man I hate Ticketmaster angryangryangryangryangryangryangryangryangry

paraphrasing Mr. Burns:
And you thought buying Ticketmaster was a bad idea. "Nobody would pay a 100% 'service fee.' mwa-ha-ha."

I hadn't bought tickets thru TM in years, and I wanted to take the kiddies to see the Globetrotters. Mind you, the venue is in the next town, about a 15 minute drive. I thought TM would be convenient, but not at $7 a ticket service fee (tix were only $20). 35% is one hell of a markup! Logged off and drove down to the box office. Saved $38 bucks.

I don't know how they get away with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see big name shows anymore because of brokers and such. Brokers do not serve a purpose. They make money by creating a demand for tickets by buying hundreds of tickets. Then they SCALP them, legally.

Will not, will not ever buy from a broker.

For my money, I will go see music locally and support local groups and festivals. Better view of the show anyways. I'm not a fan of the large venue shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm right there with you, Aldie! My wife and I have been trying to see U2 for, well, something close to 2 and a half decades. No matter what we've always been too slow . . . you know, like 10 after the tickets went on sale.cry

Well, until this year. My wife, God bless her, has been online for weeks plotting our strategy and options for seeing U2. This morning, she bought tickets to see them in Salt Lake City by hitting the "reload" button over and over as 9:00am local time approached. She still ended up with 5 minutes of people ahead of her. I don't even want to admit how much the tickets cost . . . but Bono and the boys had better be donating a whole smegging bunch to African aid organizations or I'm going to be pissed.yuk

Now, all we have to do, is not spend anything at all on either of our birthdays OR Christmas (well, maybe something for our kids, something small like a dead goldfish or some lint) and drive the 12 hours to Utah in December. Oh, and pay for the motel and food and crap.

But provided that I don't die anytime this year, I'll finally get to see U2 in concert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So basically for (i think) a $50 premium you get to preorder tickets.

It's actually $40. My wife looked into this as well after tickets sold out in mere minutes. Its the same concept that lured the then LA Rams to St Louis. Folks ponied up $5k for the 'right to buy' season tickets. Just goes to show the market will support the most ludicris concepts for folks willing to fork out the cash.

But we made it in! This will be my 4th time seing the Irish Boys, and while I feel your pain, all I can say is pay the $40 for next tour. I'm lucky to see 2 acts a year anymore, and I follow the 6 P Principle: Piss Poor Planning Promotes Paultry Performance.

Ahhh, to see Bono with his spot light on Bullet the Blue Sky again once more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.