Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game last night. My opponent went first and revealed one of "his" rooms for 1 AP. This room had my wall walker in it. He only had one AP left, and he didn't have a character on that line strong enough to kill her if he placed her right in front of him. ie: Wall Walker, Magician, Goblin. You can't really "block" the wall walker, so what could he do? Anywhere he placed her on the square she could still get out with my 3 actions on my first turn. With this in mind why wouldn't you ALWAYS place your wall walker in one of these rooms? It seems to me the only defense would be to put a stronger character in each of your starting rooms. Am I correct that this is the only true defense against this quick VP strategy? Please forgive me if this is a dumb question, since this was just our first playing of what turned out to be an amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:What am I missing here? Wall walker placement question
That is one reason why you don't reveal a room with only 1 action left. With more than one action your opponent could've moved two or more characters adjacent and added their combat values together to beat the Wall Walker. Although if this is the first play and only 2 actions are available it would seem unavoidable except to put the Wall Walker behind as many Walls, Harrows and Traps as possible to delay the quick exit until you could mount a defense. It's a tough call and a pretty good strategy.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo (#454873), This is why I'm having the difficulty seeing the "advantage" in going first. If you put your Troll in one starting room and the warrior in the other, then you could conceivably mount an effective defense. In other words, use action 1 to reveal the room, place your troll beside the walker, attack the walker with your last action point (and you would obviously win the combat). I know I'm sort of answering my own question here, but isn't this the only safe way to defend against this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge (#454940),
This is a metagame and double-guessing issue that will reveal all its subtleties with a few more games...
Keep on playing !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge,

That's why putting one of your characters close to the exit is a risky move except against inexperienced players. I was putting character far out front in the early stages of play but as players get more savvy this becomes riskier and a more defensive style of play is needed to not give your opponent an easy kill. Just add the P&D expansion with the Red Dragon and your opponent just lost the Wall Walker on turn 1 as its Firebreathing ability will kill it outright.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stuart
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
T-Mo (#455882),

Even in the base game, this is a dicey move. The breakdown for the 32 possible tile/rotation combinations you can reveal is:

14 have both the left and right starting points open.
6 have the left blocked.
9 have the right blocked.
3 have both blocked.

Assuming that you keep the thief and warrior home to be able to open doors in the first tile easily, this means that you will at least have one >1 combat guy on both sides. If you only have one bordering a tile, place them on the left and you have a 23/32 = 72% chance of dropping the wall-walker in front for a first-turn wound.

If you have two >1 combat guys next to a tile, you get a 29/32 = 91% chance of a first-turn wound (assuming of course, that you either play your highest card necessary, or win the doublethink if you don't).

I think those odds suggest that you should be happy when a person places a wall-walker into your first revealed tile. Of course, you don't want to let your opponent get two counters into either of your first reveal tiles. In addition, there are some circumstances where you'll be blocked from first-turn wounding, but the wall-walker won't be able to move out on the first turn either, but I'm not going to count them, as basically it means that they get to reveal rooms or take counters, which is too complicated a benefit to figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stuart
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
anonystu (#459927),

By the way, just to clarify, having the magician and goblin on one side together is a quite dicey setup play: you want the magician to get that scroll as quickly as possible, and that group has no way of getting through doors, nor do they have a >1 combat value to deal with wall-walker.

The setup of Warrior,Magician,Thief, 4th is a good baseline to work off of, where I feel that the Mekanork makes a strong 4th (>1 combat value, lets you get him onto a rotator as quick as possible)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior and Magician seem to always be on my start line - I have played some variations of the Cleric,Thief,Wall-Walker and Troll on my start line as the other 2 characters. I've had some good success forward deploying the Troll especially using the Chain method to reveal rooms. So many options and strategies.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stuart
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
T-Mo (#461063),

I've tried the cleric on the backline and don't quite like it: I feel like it's an okay fit for a very defensive, grind out territory approach, but I have more trouble making the cleric useful than I do keeping him alive, which is usually exacerbated by having two fast people on the start line (thief, magician)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.