BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: The Guide To Playing Werewolf On BoardGameGeek rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: getarope [+] [View All]
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reposted it here: Re: Cassandra Physics System - New alias functionality for Physics, and Chatrooms for Items

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana Pereira
Portugal
flag msg tools
Anyone can help? How can I get a password there? There is nowhere I can regist in Cassandra's project page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annalee1986 wrote:
Anyone can help? How can I get a password there? There is nowhere I can regist in Cassandra's project page.
Hi!
Nice to see another Portuguese flag around.

You need to ask
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
or
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for an account there. There used to be automated registration, but it was taken down for technical and security reasons, I think.

We usually have a few newbie friendly games in signup, and I'm currently modding the latest one: Newbie Friendly, Veteran Approved 11er (Hi #47) - Finished.
I'm going to put the next one into signup tomorrow.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tomo jacobson
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes just got my password! can't wait to start~! beware
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomojaco wrote:
yes just got my password! can't wait to start~! beware
Here's a link to the most recent Newbie Friendly game
Newbie Friendly, Veteran Approved 11er (Hi #59) - Tram Turns to Terminal!
Let me know if you have questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lebob
msg tools
hi, im playing this on another website. we are playing it as mafia.

we have a detective that investigates and has a guns blazing mode like a 1 shot vigilante.

so my question is. if he uses this ability on a gangster and at the same time, the gangster whacks him, how is this resolved?
what is the correct order for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would say that unless the Mod has specified the order of night actions, they happen at the same time, thus they are both dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:

You need to ask Avin or Melsana for an account there. There used to be automated registration, but it was taken down for technical and security reasons, I think.

FYI, the instructions at cassandraproject indicate to send requests to linguistfromhell, so that's what I did this morning.

Reading further in this thread brought me to your advice, so I've sent additional requests to Avin and Melsana.

Here is the message I got on cassandraproject.org just in case it needs to be updated:
Please contact linguistfromhell (jmilum, melsana or avin can also help)

I look forward to playing with you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avin Fernando
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Snaak wrote:
For real? Linguist is in charge of new accounts? surprise

He is, and he does a great job handling it most of the time. Thanks, linguist.

But it looks like Melsana got to you first, RoyalApe, so enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Avin wrote:
Snaak wrote:
For real? Linguist is in charge of new accounts? surprise

He is, and he does a great job handling it most of the time. Thanks, linguist.

But it looks like Melsana got to you first, RoyalApe, so enjoy!

Thanks for the kind words, Avin. Sorry about the delay, Ape. In my defense, most folks can wait four hours for access. (Seriously, this is the first day in weeks that I haven't had access to the computer for this long - yay, Army).

For Snaak - and whoever else is interested ...

The reason that there is an intermediary in the process is because a few years ago, a couple of folks signed up for multiple accounts and it skewed games. J introduced the "gatekeeper" and then split the responsibilities with me. Anyone who asked for access that was listed as "BGG New User", would be checked by J (as a BGG admin) to confirm that their IP wasn't a duplicate. Anyone without would be able to get a password from me without going through that vetting process. And if I am out of the loop for days / weeks thanks to the Army, J takes my name off the signup page.

So there's no personal input into the system. I don't let some folks in and keep others out. I am just here to prevent folks from spamming Cassandra accounts, as well as be a 'face to the system' who they can talk to if they have basic-level questions or instructions to find games or some other form of help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Ah. I understand the surprise now.

J has given me some new instructions. Every user that wants access to Cassandra can email me directly. The normal waiting time is less than two hours from when I get the email (usually, much less). Hrm. And for a deadline ... how about:

If you would like access to Cassandra, please geekmail linguistfromhell. If you do not get a response within 24 hours, please either try again or geekmail jmilum, Melsana, or Avin.

If you want to say something about how the turnaround is usually within an hour, that would be fine, but I don't know that it's necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Snaak wrote:
It still says this though:

Is that still correct for the new user badge people? Do they need to go to Jerms or are you now also taking care of that?

I'm working all applicants at this point. The only duplicate IPs that have come up in the last year have been easily explained, so J has told me that I can take care of everyone. I plan on sending him compiled lists of 'new users' once a month or something like that.

I'll geekmail J and remind him about the 'welcome to Cassy' page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina
Netherlands
Dordrecht
flag msg tools
OMG I thought this is the same as The werewolves of Millers Hollow, but this is a different game xD

But I'm curious enough to try a game, both games seem pretty similar to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Mjoezic wrote:
OMG I thought this is the same as The werewolves of Millers Hollow, but this is a different game xD

But I'm curious enough to try a game, both games seem pretty similar to me.
It is basically the same game. The roles are called different things in some cases and there are some roles that we never use (*cough* Little Girl *cough*), but they are basically the same game.

There is a Miller's Hollow variant called The Village that is more different, but even then, sometimes those mechanics pop up from time to time.

Werewolf of Miller's Hollow is basically Ultimate Werewolf is basically Mafia, etc., etc. Different names for things, slightly different rules, all normally based on the same foundation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like that as of now the guide to playing werewolf has 101 thumbs.

It could be called werewolf 101!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is there a difference to the games played on this forum and the one over at Cassy's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFreshBanana wrote:
Is there a difference to the games played on this forum and the one over at Cassy's?

Welcome. No, same games, just two different sets of aspects. Cassy is like a secretary for the games that are being run in the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks.

Also, is there a way for me to check on Cassy, what games I've signed up for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Once you have logged in, click on your name at the top right left. (Edit in. Oops.)

The new page shows recent games played or modded, current games you are playing or modding, and games you are signed up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Once you have logged in, click on your name at the top right.

The new page shows recent games played or modded, current games you are playing or modding, and games you are signed up for.

No your other right... which we call the left. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
pilotbob wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:
Once you have logged in, click on your name at the top right.

No your other right... which we call the left. devil
I had been awake for two minutes when I checked this.

But yes, the top left of the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Once you have logged in, click on your name at the top right left. (Edit in. Oops.)

You can also just scroll through the list of games on the front page and look for any games with the "calendar" icon next to them, as that icon indicates you've signed up for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
OliverUnseth wrote:
Can I get a TL;DR on this game's format? I've played ww before. Also do I just make normal posts by clicking quickreply?
If you've played Werewolf before in real life, then you're already familiar with the format of the basic game.

The only real differences are the times involved, the voting process, the possibility of roles, and the Cassy system.

Normal Werewolf obviously operates on a "lynch in X minutes" system. We have games like that, but most of our games are run on a daily basis, with lynch taking place at the same time every day (no lynches on Saturday and Sunday - normally).

Voting is not done via nominations. Everyone can vote on any player at any time as often as they want. What matters is - where is your vote when time runs out?

In BGG WW, there is the possibility of more roles than Ultimate Werewolf and Miller's Hollow put together. And that's in normal Werewolf games. We run many themed games or complex games that are far beyond anything you can do in face-to-face situations.

The Cassandra Project archives all of our records, letting us review everything - your current game, your old games, all kinds of things. It also enables communications that you can't have in face-to-face Werewolf. You get a private conversation with the moderator, and there is the possibility of having a chat tool with your other werewolves (if you are a Max Evil). There are also other ways of using Cassy, but those are some of the highlights.

That's the "TL;DR: version". But honestly, the best way to learn the differences is to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of boardgames with 'Werewolf' in the title. Which one are you guys playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
There are a number of boardgames with 'Werewolf' in the title. Which one are you guys playing?

All of them, and none of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |