Dog Fight: Starship Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacks from "Blocked Spaces" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The question came up in play tonight about how visual range is determined when one ship is on a "blocked space" (a hex with a number printed on it) and attacks a ship which is out in the open. I had read the rules to mean that a ship in a blocked space could freely shoot at ships within range which are not themselves on a blocked space. Another interpretation came up that the limitation on visual range applied both to shooting into and shooting out of a blocked space. Double-checking the rulebook did not provide satisfactory clarification.

I don't see a logical reason why a ship couldn't shoot out, but on the other hand the ability to do so seems to encourage "camping" on a planet and waiting to jump on whoever ventures out first.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm using the terminology correctly here. Please correct me if I'm misusing one of these terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charleston James
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a remake of the rulebook, so I'll make sure to clarify that the visual range limitation is applied to the person hiding, too. The reason is, just as you described, to avoid the "camping" problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've assumed the rule is "if I can't see you you can't see me". It makes everything easier to manage so there's not a lot of book keeping. This seems to keep the game flowing smoothly for us... glad to hear we interpreted it correctly! whistle

-Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The logic I was using went something along the lines of how it's easy to see out of a dark cave into the daylight, but not so easy to look in from outside. The same might apply to looking for the ship in orbit around a planet reflecting the sun (or even getting radar/electromagnetic interference). But thinking about it in light of the ruling, I guess blocked spaces could represent orbiting behind a planet, and therefore not being able to see either direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.