Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnar Sveen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been enjoying Memoir'44 for some weeks now, but just 1v1 regular games. Yesterday we brought out the Cadets of Saumur on the flipside of Hedgerow Hell as our first overlord game. We only had time for one game, so we chose that because of the balance. Numbers on the Memoir'44 battle reports page says germans win this 44% of the time - a pretty good balance for M44.

We were four players, so we used Stig's overlord rules: The CinC chooses cards, and the field general plays all sectors. The CinC decides each round if he is in the left/center/right, and can only discuss tactics for that area with the field general.

Germans started with a successful barrage of the single artillery unit on their left flank. The french withdrew their troops on the right flank to save them from the artillery fire, while the german troops had a hard time crossing the bridges there. After a critical failure to blow up one of the bridges by the french forces, the germans finally penetrated the defenses and secured the city.

On the left flank the germans were severely hindered by the railroad tracks and heavy fortifications. Every attempt to cross the bridge was beaten back by the french, but the germans were able to move weakened units back and out of reach of the french central artillery unit.

As the battle was coming to a close, the french CinC commanded the central artillery unit moved forward to wipe out the retreating german forces on the left. The center had seen very little action, so in response the germans pushed all their infantry towards the river - and the artillery on the other side. A pontoon bridge was quickly deployed, and german infantry fought desperately to take out the artillery. They took heavy casualties, without being able to take down the artillery.

The action in the center had opened a possibility. A german combat engineer team moved forward with the other infantry. Under massive artillery fire (lost 3 units in one hit), they went under cover and moved behind enemy lines. They managed to surprise a weakened french troop in the forest, and then move on to the city and grab a vital german victory point.

The game ended 12-9 to the germans. We had a lot of fun. It took a lot longer than we had thought tho, ending at nearly 4 hours. Hopefully it won't take as long the next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play CinC or FG?

How did you like the command structure of Overlord?

Stig Morten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnar Sveen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the German Commander in Chief. I found that the blitz rules really make for a tough decision in overlord. Do I use Air Power on those clumped up troops, or do I draw 3 cards this turn?

ad79 wrote:
How did you like the command structure of Overlord?

We really enjoyed the problems with chain of command that it creates. The Field Generals were often uncertain about what the CinC had intended. As a CinC you just have to sit there and watch as your plans fall apart. Sometimes the FG does something smarter than you had planned, but without the knowledge of what cards the CinC holds, they often do local optimizations that won't work as well given the whole picture.

It's brilliant. We laughed quite a lot.

As for your 4-man rules, I think they are very good. They really capture the essence of overlord. I wouldn't play any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.