Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Antaire: Explorers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Simmons
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction
Since my current game, Antaire: Dungeons, is currently under play test by some of the people here on the forum, I am now exploring one of my next game ideas.

In Antaire: Explorers each player represents a party of adventurers exploring the land of Antaire. The intent is to have the game board built similar to that of Settlers of Catan, i.e. Tiles layed down on the table with tokens representing values on each tile.

Each player moves to a tile and explores the tile. During the exploration the player will either find nothing, a settlement or ruin.

At a settlement a player may purchase new equipment, train, thieve, or acquire a new quest. Ruins on the other hand provide challenges to a players party where they must defeat the ruin in 2 of the 3 challenges it provides. Once a ruin has been successfully defeated it may then be explored for any dungeons. Dungeons represent similar challenges to ruins, however are more difficult and potentially deliver mysterious artifacts. The artifacts can be kept, sold or handed in for quest rewards. Quests are goals for the party. They will typically represent simple goals such as find the ruins of X, or return to me with item Y. Completing a quest delivers the party with advancements.

Advancements are used to improve a parties attributes, thus improving its ability to explore the land further.

The intent of the game is that you can simply play the game, pack it away, build a new map, and continue on with the party you played with previously. Players may not have even played together before.

Players: 1+
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Simmons
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A question on Mechanics.

At the moment the intent is to roll 2d6 + skill modifier vs a target number to determine if a tile has successfully been explored. To determine what is found is my next problem, it will either be a settlement or a ruin. This could be easily accommodated if there was a set of exploration cards/tiles that could be randomly drawn from, however I would like to think the type of tile may have some influence upon whether or not a settlement or ruin is found. On top of this I am cautious adding another dice roll.

So what I am after is the use of one 2d6 roll result to deliver two mechanics. The first is simple, roll higher than target X and you have success. The other use is to determine if a settlement or ruin is found. The thing to consider is the bias towards high results.

Any suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Relexx wrote:
So what I am after is the use of one 2d6 roll result to deliver two mechanics. The first is simple, roll higher than target X and you have success. The other use is to determine if a settlement or ruin is found. The thing to consider is the bias towards high results.

What % of the time do you want settlement, and what % ruin?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Simmons
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a base percentage I would work on a 40:60 split (settlement:ruins), however places like swamps I would want it to be more inclined to deliver a ruin, where as in the plains a settlement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Simmons
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that this game will be able to be played solo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is coming to mind with standard d6. "If either die is a 5", "Difference between the 2 dice", "If doubles". None seem right.

There might be something you could do with three dice. Maybe as simple as rolling 3 dice at once, where the 3rd is a different color, and would be used to determine the terrain if the first 2 dice succeed on the exploration part. It would reduce the number of physical rolls.

Lost Dice uses a cool mechanism with custom dice (and double-cool for the "Keldice" components included in the Lost Dice rules. You could do something along those lines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Simmons
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be just as simple as using two coloured dice. white=Settlements, red=ruins.

If the white dice is higher a settlement is found, visa versa for red dice.

The modifiers would adjust the colour dice values for determining if a settlement or ruin was found. e.g A swamp might have +2 ruins so a red dice roll of 3 would become 5 in determining which dice was higher.

A draw could simple mean that the player chooses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds simple and effective.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Relexx wrote:
A question on Mechanics.

At the moment the intent is to roll 2d6 + skill modifier vs a target number to determine if a tile has successfully been explored. To determine what is found is my next problem, it will either be a settlement or a ruin. This could be easily accommodated if there was a set of exploration cards/tiles that could be randomly drawn from, however I would like to think the type of tile may have some influence upon whether or not a settlement or ruin is found. On top of this I am cautious adding another dice roll.

So what I am after is the use of one 2d6 roll result to deliver two mechanics. The first is simple, roll higher than target X and you have success. The other use is to determine if a settlement or ruin is found. The thing to consider is the bias towards high results.

Any suggestions?



I'm intrigued by this game, it sounds like a lot of fun.

The idea that popped into my head as I read your was to have a big convoluted chart that you had to read through at least twice...

Actually I was thinking that you could simply use odds and evens on the dice as your telling factor. This would also require colored dice. In pursuing it in my own head, I'm not sure it's a better idea than yours, though it does allow for multiple entries since you could have odds on the red and evens on the white, vice versa, all odds, or all evens, giving you four situations. Might be something to consider for later.

I like your solution. It's an elegant method of creating a value. I am envisioning your hexes having one of two small icons (settlement or ruin) that gives it a plus in one of those types of areas.

I'm interested to see what you come up with

Edited out the stupidity...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Simmons
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Actually I was thinking that you could simply use odds and evens on the dice as your telling factor. This would also require colored dice. In pursuing it in my own head, I'm not sure it's a better idea than yours, though it does allow for multiple entries since you could have odds on the red and evens on the white, vice versa, all odds, or all evens, giving you four situations. Might be something to consider for later.


Yes it does allow for more solutions, however the determination of a settlement or ruin is mandatory, so there can be no gaps in the determining the result. So you could not have something like

ruin: odd on red
settlement: even on white
what happens to a roll of red even, white odd? however if you had
ruin: odd on white and red
settlement: even on white
there would be no gaps.

Quote:
I am envisioning your hexes having one of two small icons (settlement or ruin) that gives it a plus in one of those types of areas.

I'm interested to see what you come up with


Actually that is what I intend. Two small icons with +'s or - values. Except that I am not going to use hexes, offset squares instead. It produces the same game effect allows the same movement. It is just easier to cut.

I'll post more game clarification as I go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.