Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought my copy of Samurai in to work today, so Allen and I fired up a game in the main office breakroom. We normally set up our lunchtime games in my office where it's quiet, but I wanted to see what my other coworkers' reactions would be.

Allen gained an early advantage, and what an advantage it was. He outmanueuvered me and had a majority in rice fields (3) and buddhas (3) to my 2 high hats and one rice field. About this time, a couple of people sauntered up to the table and started asking questions. I took some time to briefly describe the object of the game, and rules for capturing figures. I also demonstrated the fact that Allen was kicking my butt soundly!

During the last 1/4 or so of the game, it became apparent that Allen had expended his resources a bit too early. For example, he had spent two ships (2 and 1 values) to effect a tie for a high hat. I didn't think this was terribly wise, but as the losing participant, I didn't express this thought out loud! The last 3 buddhas and 3 rice fields were claimed by me, and at the end, I had won by one figure!

I think Allen was suprised (and so was I)! It was definitely the closest and most suprising playing of this fantastic game we've had yet.

Analysis: I think that one of the keys to success in this game is efficient play. It is important to win figures by a slim margin if you can, thereby saving your limited resources for subsequent battles. There are times, of course, when you must go all out to prevent your opponent from capturing a key piece or gaining a positional advantage, but he who wins the battles by the slimmer of margins, on the average, will be in the best position to win the game.

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
!!!RETRACTION!!!!

Duh, we played the game wrong. We both missed the rule that ends the game once the last figure of a given type is removed from the board. I can't believe I didn't catch that one. Of course, Allen called me at home last night to remind me. We both got a good laugh out of it, and I agreed to issue a public retraction to all who were in the office to witness my faux victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.