Subject: What I have, what I like. What should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr River
Canada
none
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I started my game obsession during December when I spotted Carcassonne at a gift shop and ended up getting it for Christmas. Since then I've put quite a few titles under my belt. Primarily only 2 players are ever involved when I get to play. So heres a list of what I have and what I think of them. These are in no particular order other than that which I purchased/received them.

Might as well start with Carcassonne and its expansions. I do like this game, and I love the mechanics. I get a lot of satisfaction out of how it looks when the game is done. However, I do find the amount of luck involved to be a bit of a downer. I think this one ranks top on my playing partners list.

My next game acquisition was San Juan. I enjoy this one although it can be a little dry at times. My feelings are really up and down on this one. A good game, but its not played that often due to my flawless win record.

Ticket to Ride. This game is great. I read that it was decent for 2 players, but after playing it with 3 and 4 players, I'd hesitate to play it with 2 again. Far superior with more players.

Largely an impulse buy: Citadels. Although we do enjoy this game, I think it requires a little bit more of an in-your-face attitude. We aren't quite that aggressive yet, but we're getting better.

Blue Moon. Never the same game twice. One of us can lead the game only to be destroyed in the end. Has a good playing speed and I love everything about the cards. Does make it to the table often enough.

When I first played Balloon Cup I loved it. Now it seems dry, repetitive and mostly luck based. I often get requests for this one.

Bohnanza! How do you get people to take an interest in this game? It seems like everybody I ask just laughs it off. I've only played with 2, and its pretty good at that. I imagine more players would be a laugh-riot. Gets played a lot thanks to its fast pace and the fact that its highly requested.

Lastly, Odin's Ravens. I like this one better than Balloon Cup. A little more though and strategy to it. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it when I first read about it, but 7 days after getting it that has tapered off significantly. Still a good game and you can screw your neighbour in a relatively innocent way.

In addition to these, we've played Lost Cities quite a few times on BSW. Its held in high regard, and not as much by me, but I still enjoy it. It wouldn't be my first pick, but I would rarely turn down playing it.

Thats it. Any comments/suggestions welcome. Hope my post wasn't too long to put you off reading it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Sticking with the lite two player theme, I will suggest Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.

But that is just limiting the criteria to lite/2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr River
Canada
none
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I read something where somebody called it Lord of the Rings: Anxiety Attack. That kind of put me off, I'll look more into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Settlers of Catan Card Game? It's a more involved game than those you've mentioned, which it seems you're ready for. The only complaint is that it can take longer to play than a 2-player game usually does. The screwage is minimal, and there's plenty of variety in the play.

Hansa is a multi-player game that plays well with only 2. It's a middle-weight game with simple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GoreSpilr wrote:
I read something where somebody called it Lord of the Rings: Anxiety Attack. That kind of put me off, I'll look more into it.

LotR: The Confrontation is one of my favorite two-player games at the moment. I think it's an excellent game for such a small package, small price, and simple rules. There's a deluxe edition coming out soon though, so wait for that if you decide to make the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentally handicapped people who can't just make a f'ing move might sway away from Confrontation. I can't understand how you could be so worried about a game. Duh.

Suggestions:
Kahuna
Babel
Battle Line
Corsairs (dude, if you like pirates and get drunk alot this can be fun)
Hera and Zeus (unless you have trouble retaining simple pieces of information like what a card does, oh wait, is that why there's a quick reference, duh again)
Clash of the Lightsabers is great
Torres

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Domain even as a two player game that extends the light 2 player games.

Oh and Justin got up on the wrong side of the bed did we

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fireborn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You really should get Yinsh!! It is like checkers on crack! Great for me and my wife, but then again, we like crack.
Also get Blokus, plays best with 4 but can play with 2 and 3 fine.

both these are abstract games. I heard good things about in "Enifach genial" (sp?) and Wyatt Earp as good two player games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also wind up playing almost everything two player. We have been playing a lot of Kahuna lately. It's great fun, a bit intense and the rules aren't too difficult to learn. Rosenkonig is a good game that plays relatively quick. Einfach Genial gets a lot of plays (not too confrontational, but still has its moments). Ta Yu is excellent, but a bit expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoreSpilr wrote:
When I first played Balloon Cup I loved it. Now it seems dry, repetitive and mostly luck based. I often get requests for this one.

You should try the original version. This game was changed by the publisher, and it's good that way, but it's more strategic the original way.

The main change is that you can't play a card on your opponents side of a landscape card until your side is full. This makes the flipping of the cards significant because without this restriction, flipping the card doesn't really matter.

The other change is that the original version did not allow you to use three of a completed color in exchange for another color. I have not tried this change, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr River
Canada
none
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I like the look of Domaine, big price tag though. Anywhere I cann try it online first?

Kahuna looks good also, but I can't help but wonder why the rank is so low?

LOTR: The Confrontation was one I considered before, but it fell out of focus for some reason. I will consider that one.

Setters of Catan Card game had my interest before as well. Is it reminisent of San Juan? Do you need the expansion to really make the game?

Yinsh was tried on BSW and it didn't go over so well with us, maybe we should give it another whirl.

With Balloon Cup, if I remember correctly, I found it a little slow sometimes when you get a hand of cards you don't want to play on your side, so being able to play them anywhere helped move that. However I can definately see both sides of it.

Thanks and keep the goods coming (please)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can try Kahuna online at wwww.yucata.de -- that's where I first played it (they also have Rosenkonig there, btw). And it has rules, etc., in English, so it's easy to get started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Alhambra. I personally prefer it with 3-4 players, but there's a decent 2-player variant. It's pretty straightforward, and if you love it there are also some expansions (German only, and I haven't played them yet, but they do exist).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers Card Game isn't like San Juan except that it's a card game version of a board game. And it's not necessary to get the expansion to enjoy the game, but if you like the basic game, it gives you plenty of variety for the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.