Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Eminent Domain» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Speculations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've thought more about this game the idea of expansion possibilities has started to arise. I know that there are already "Prestige" planets that will be included in the Kickstarter games but only available after that in an expansion that is not fully planned yet. I thought it would be fun to start talking about neat ideas that could go into that expansion. It might be jumping the gun a little, but hey, I helped my fiancee put up her Christmas tree two weeks ago so I guess we are just those kind of people!

One idea that I thought would be neat and easy to implement would be Tech cards with follow abilities. So instead of a tech only having an action or symbol that can be used to boost or follow it could have a unique follow ability that isn't available elsewhere. The tough part would be to decide how to make them interact with other roles, can you always follow with this action or can you only follow specific roles?

An expansion tech for warfare could be that as an action you can attack an opponents planet if it is not flipped and there are no colonies underneath it. Or if there are colonies it is +1 army per colony.

Anyone else have any ideas?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the game as yet (I know it's available on PnP but as I've pledged my funds on Kickstarter I want to wait until I get the full finished package) but the one thing I would like to see would be extra players. I don't know how easy it would be to implement, but adding one or even two players to the mix would certainly get my vote!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding two players would definitely require more role cards. I could see new planets and tech cards being added, as well. Perhaps new planet types? Tech cards that key off having diversified planet types? The possibilities are nigh-endless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see more use of the different planetary resources (Water, Food, Iron, etc); currently only three techs utilise the distinction. It took three expansions for Race for the Galaxy to introduce a couple of cards that used goods for special powers, so it's an available point of differentiation.

I'd also think increased strategic interaction with opponents' deck composition would add a lot to the game. Building up your deck (deliberately or as a side-effect) via role-selection is the major core innovative mechanic of Eminent Domain; it feels as though there more to explore in the design space here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Lichti
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
I'd like to see more use of the different planetary resources (Water, Food, Iron, etc); currently only three techs utilise the distinction. It took three expansions for Race for the Galaxy to introduce a couple of cards that used goods for special powers, so it's an available point of differentiation.

Such as an in-play tech that allows you to spend resources to boost roles, where the role you can boost depends on the resource type? I like that. It would synergize nicely with Abundence.

More obviously, you could duplicate Diversified Economy and Specialization type powers to only work with a specific resource, but make the tech cheaper. Maybe it would be too powerful.

There could be a lot of ways to interact with resources -- drawing cards during the action phase, drawing cards before cleanup, etc. I'm not sure they would all be interesting, or easy enough to balance, but the potential is there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to love this thread personally. Keep discussing while we take notes... whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to see an in play tech that has different costs on it since I think it would give an interesting choice between a cheaper weaker tech or a more expensive one. Do I buy the cheaper one now or hold out for the better one knowing someone else might grab it?

Also techs that require multiple types of planets should probably be on the way. Not many of them, but I could see 4, 5 cost techs that need 2 planets of a different type being created.

Ack another interesting idea. Techs that require you to have planets and spend resources in order to make them. Now that makes sense. You spend iron in order to make a warfare type tech, or silicon to make some research type etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 3-player game today and we thought that it would be nice if the first expansion provided a way to scan for more than one planet at a time. I imagine it would be a 5 cost tech that can be used to boost a role, if it is you can keep two planets. Something like that. In any case I think being able to take 2 planets is something that should be added in the future!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed this on Seth's play logs today.

Quote:
Played with the Expansion cards - Prestige Planets and Utopian Planets.

Played 2 games with the Agendas as well


I want to know what Utopian planets and Agendas are, like, right NOW!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a neat idea when reading through the rules draft again.

A new symbol for Techs could be +hand size. Essentially, whenever you "reconcile" or clean up your hand, if you keep that tech you can draw more cards. If you play it your hand size goes back down. Either that, or in order to get the +draw you have to play it on your turn. Something to that effect. Of course this could most easily be implemented with the stay-in-play techs but I kind of like the dilemma it creates with having it be a temporary bonus only.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
I just noticed this on Seth's play logs today.

Quote:
Played with the Expansion cards - Prestige Planets and Utopian Planets.

Played 2 games with the Agendas as well


I want to know what Utopian planets and Agendas are, like, right NOW!


They are awesome. That is all that we are at liberty to disclose at this time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
We played a 3-player game today and we thought that it would be nice if the first expansion provided a way to scan for more than one planet at a time. I imagine it would be a 5 cost tech that can be used to boost a role, if it is you can keep two planets. Something like that. In any case I think being able to take 2 planets is something that should be added in the future!


This sort of / kind of exists in the form of Survey Team
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:
We played a 3-player game today and we thought that it would be nice if the first expansion provided a way to scan for more than one planet at a time. I imagine it would be a 5 cost tech that can be used to boost a role, if it is you can keep two planets. Something like that. In any case I think being able to take 2 planets is something that should be added in the future!


This sort of / kind of exists in the form of Survey Team

Yes, there is a tech that allows you to get an additional planet, as Mike points out: Survey Team. It actually lets you take the top planet card as an action.

I could see a Permanent Tech that allows you to keep an extra planet each time you survey, but it would probably be level 3. Or maybe level 2, but reduces the number of planets you look at by a couple, meaning you need to do BIG surveys, but you get to keep 2 planets per. That would be pretty cool.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
I just noticed this on Seth's play logs today.

Quote:
Played with the Expansion cards - Prestige Planets and Utopian Planets.

Played 2 games with the Agendas as well


I want to know what Utopian planets and Agendas are, like, right NOW!

Agendas probably won't appear until the 2nd expansion (assuming there is one). The first expansion will likely feature a 5th player, a new planet type (with associated Tech cards), and possibly new Start planets (not better than the old ones, but different - if I can figure out what that means exactly )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A new tech that allows you to add one of any symbol to your boosting or following could be interesting. It would certainly be a game accelerant. I could see its action reading someting like "Action: place this card in your play area. You may use it to boost or follow any role. If unused discard it at the start of your next turn." I think it should be nanobots.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:
We played a 3-player game today and we thought that it would be nice if the first expansion provided a way to scan for more than one planet at a time. I imagine it would be a 5 cost tech that can be used to boost a role, if it is you can keep two planets. Something like that. In any case I think being able to take 2 planets is something that should be added in the future!


This sort of / kind of exists in the form of Survey Team

Yes, there is a tech that allows you to get an additional planet, as Mike points out: Survey Team. It actually lets you take the top planet card as an action.

I could see a Permanent Tech that allows you to keep an extra planet each time you survey, but it would probably be level 3. Or maybe level 2, but reduces the number of planets you look at by a couple, meaning you need to do BIG surveys, but you get to keep 2 planets per. That would be pretty cool.


I was thinking about this today and I think I know a way to do it without making it overpowered, in terms of VP gain that is. Essentially, you get to choose two planets but you will only get VP for one of them. The way to mark it is "When you survey this turn, you may keep up to two planets. Place an army token on top of one of them. If you flip that planet, cover the VP icon with the army. This planet is worth zero VP."

Basically you are getting an extra bonus to planet count or other symbols. It could make a nice game where you can keep the Presitge Planet for the VP and a smaller planet for the icons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:
We played a 3-player game today and we thought that it would be nice if the first expansion provided a way to scan for more than one planet at a time. I imagine it would be a 5 cost tech that can be used to boost a role, if it is you can keep two planets. Something like that. In any case I think being able to take 2 planets is something that should be added in the future!


This sort of / kind of exists in the form of Survey Team

Yes, there is a tech that allows you to get an additional planet, as Mike points out: Survey Team. It actually lets you take the top planet card as an action.

I could see a Permanent Tech that allows you to keep an extra planet each time you survey, but it would probably be level 3. Or maybe level 2, but reduces the number of planets you look at by a couple, meaning you need to do BIG surveys, but you get to keep 2 planets per. That would be pretty cool.


I was thinking about this today and I think I know a way to do it without making it overpowered, in terms of VP gain that is. Essentially, you get to choose two planets but you will only get VP for one of them. The way to mark it is "When you survey this turn, you may keep up to two planets. Place an army token on top of one of them. If you flip that planet, cover the VP icon with the army. This planet is worth zero VP."

Basically you are getting an extra bonus to planet count or other symbols. It could make a nice game where you can keep the Presitge Planet for the VP and a smaller planet for the icons.


We may or may not have a tech card that already does this that we are working with. It may or may not be awesome without keeping you from getting points.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to need more playtesters....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what the cost should be for a stay-in-play tech that allows you to store one or two cards on it for use on a future turn. I like the idea of an action card that stays in play. "As your action, place up to 2 cards from your hand onto this card or if there are any cards on this card, return them to your hand."

It could also be one that gets recycled in your deck. As its action it would be "Set aside this card and any other 2 cards from your hand. At the beginning of any turn, take those cards into your hand and place this card in the discard pile."

I was also considering the possibility of having some level 1 stay-in-play cards. I'm not sure what functions they should have for sure. Maybe adding only 1 symbol to your empire or something like that. I would think that would be a pretty neat bonus but I'm not sure if it would be too powerful if it was a colonize icon though. It could have two icons on it and then text that says "Whenever you use one of the icons on this card flip it over. At the end of your next turn flip it again." Essentially that reduces the amount of times you will be able to use it.

I think I spend too much time thinking about different things that could go into this game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.