United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The remaining tiles and the anteaters are slid down towards field one so there are no gaps left (if all of
the anteaters have reached field 1, move on to the ‘anteater attacks’ section now)

Quote:
(v) Anteater attacks
At the end of a turn, if an anteater has reached field one, it will look for food on the board (the anteater tile
remains on the scout field).

I want to make sure I am reading this right.

There are 2 options it seems:

1)
The rules state that "anteater attacks" when all anteaters reach field 1. The first 2 that had arrived will just take prey. The last one to arrive will take prey/ants depending on the number of players.

2)
When each ant arrives, they take prey or prey/ants depending on their order.

So basically,
When an anteater arrives at field 1, does it wait for others to arrive
as well or just start eating?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Webb
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as an anteater arrives it eats prey (if it's the first or second) and eats prey and ants if it is the third to arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first section ("move on to the "anteater attacks" section") is a bit easy to misunderstand.

It is very easy, though.

Each anteater eats, when he arrives, according to the anteater overview card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So was there a error in the rules about waiting until ALL anteaters arrive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Michael,

There is not an error. There is a slight ambiguity but it is more than covered later on.

We are about to have a games night and I will post further once it is finished.

Cheers,

Gordon
Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman wrote:
Hi Michael,

There is not an error. There is a slight ambiguity but it is more than covered later on.

We are about to have a games night and I will post further once it is finished.

Cheers,

Gordon
Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

Any further clarification on that? Thanks.

And an additional question regarding anteaters:

When the reach the end, they are all moved back to column 6. They are all flipped when doing so. Do they remain in the same row as before or are they done randomly? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the slight delay - we had a window to package our pre-orders yesterday and spent all evening doing that !

The rules are reasonably clear on the above point (although I would say that ).

In particular, if you look at section E. (v)

(a) it states that at the end of a turn if an anteater has reached field one it will look for food on the board.
(b) there are 2 colour examples which show you exactly what to do.
(c) There is a player aid which shows exactly what an ant eats when it arrives at field one.

The point that you mention is contained at E (iv) in the section marked "fill up the scout section". It has to be read in context. The direction to go to anteater attacks section now (my emphasis) only comes into play if all anteaters have reached field 1. If this has not arisen then you will move onto (1) filling up the empty spaces with tiles and then (2) moving onto the anteater attacks section.

The reason for this is that if all 3 anteaters have reached field 1 then the anteaters will require to be reset before the tile display is filled up.

I can appreciate that when you first reach this section of the rules for the first time it might appear ambiguous. However, the point is covered in detail later on (with examples and with a player aid).

Re flipping the anteaters - we play that the anteater remains in the same row (although randomly would not present a major problem either if you wanted - you lose a small amount of forward planning re the tiles but not really that much).

Thank you for giving me the chance to set it out ! Hope this is clear.

Cheers,

Gordon
Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
we had a window to package our pre-orders yesterday and spent all evening doing that !
thumbsupthumbsup

...waiting by the window for the swarm of flying ants to deliver mine!
Speaking of flying ants...how about an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got a game in.

There were a few rules with the anteater that I wasn't sure about.

1) Is the ant eater always pointing to the left? All the images show it that way and it would make sense. But when it eats ants and the area is empty, the rules state he goes hunting the direction he is pointing. It sounds like he might sometimes be pointing a different direction. We played they always point left.

2) it mentions hat an ant eater serves to block ants. But, when it states that it seems more like fluff, I didn't see any rules around that. There is mention that when they reach field 1, it shuts down that field. But, the columns are normally referred as fields. But, obviously you can keep picking in the other rows, otherwise they would move. So, my question is do ant eaters 'block' scouting past them II you have a scouting action that would normally allow you yo scout a field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Mike,

It took you a year ????? Get a grip man or we will have to demote you

Re your questions :-

a) The example at the bottom of p8 of the rules shows the movement precisely. It always points to the left as per the example.

b) I am not sure what you mean. I cannot find the "ant eater serves to block ants" part you refer to. We were very careful in our terminology of fields. I do not think we use "columns" as this caused problems.

My best guess as to what you are asking is can you take a tile at field 2 where an anteater is a field 1 directly beside it. The answer is yes.

Hope this helps - maybe you could let me know the particular part you are unsure of and I will be more focused in my response !

Cheers,

Gordon
Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, that's how I was interrupting them.

The reference was on page 3, under scouting. Anteaters will restrict choice... I was expecting to read some rule about a restriction they will make. 'Limiting' a choice simply because they are taking up 1 (to 3) spaces doesn't seem very restrictive, so I just want to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Before you demote me, does it help that I got two games of Poseidon's Kingdom played in less then a week from getting it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.