Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Manifest Destiny is due to arrive this Friday, March 18th.
Looking for people who tried this in prototype form or any playtesters for good advice for the first game. People who receive them first feel free to open the box and make us jealous.
Please add mini reviews, quick impressions or session reports to this thread while the game is still minty fresh, new and details on game play are needed.
Thanks,
ScottH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Sweet, let us all know how it looks. I won't get mine until next week (I live in Canada) at the earliest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I received a copy today. Nicely done components, art, etc. Looks like an easy rulebook, which I will read and post an article on later this evening or in the morning.

The one thing I immediately noticed was the reference book is thicker than the rule book. A cursory glance seemed to indicate GMT has gone the extra mile in anticipating questions and situations and made a stellar effort to explain and cover different situations with clear examples of play.

I forget what Manifest Destiny has as a retail price but it is much higher quality than Decision Games' reprint of Empires of the Middle Ages, which had a $100 retail. I'm not picking on Decision Games, I am thankful for the reprint, but perhaps they ought to look at what GMT has accomplished for a retail that's considerably less.

I'll get a shot at playing this great looking new game sometime in April. Looks like it's well worth the wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Got a chance to read the rules, look over the cards and player aids and just in general get a feel for the game itself.

* The designer, Bill Crenshaw, seemed to have designed the game with the idea that there would not always be a full table. There are 5 mercantile empires and you drop or add an empire - and specific cards - as you increase or decrease players.

* The game seems to have twin valves that pump it's blood. The cards and rules restricting when and what can be played drive a player's fortunes, sometimes victory points, advantages in trade and wealth and intimidation factor. The other valve is the control tokens...or economic valve. The player must purchase available control tokens to expand, take over, research, breakthrough, etc., and is limited by his/her sequence in the current turn order. This is reminiscent of Power Grid's 1st is last, last is 1st sequencing for buying raw materials or building to new cities.

* There is absolutely no doubt that Manifest Destiny is a game that will reward aggression, but then the subject matter is aggressive expansion and the forging of a new nation. At the same time just reading the rules and scanning some of the examples of play I can see that there are subtle ways to hinder and squeeze your competition without directly taking away their territories or cities - which is tough anyway and a savvy player can acquire cards/progressions/breakthrough/cities that make it very tough indeed.

* I haven't played so I can't see any problems with the game yet. I'm certain a number of Geeks will play several times this week-end and I'm looking forward to reviews and session reports.

Right now I'm enamored by Power Grid as a 4-5 player battle of the wits. Manifest Destiny may be just the contender that unseats Power Grid at my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks D.W., that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
I hope some session reports show up this weekend.
ScottH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.