Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went into my LGS today on the way home from work to pick up some stuff, the Small World Be Not Afraid expansion the primary target. I get there, pick up various miniature supplies, walk over to the new game section, grab a copy of Be Not Afraid, and pick up a copy of Necromancer Island sitting next to it.

I look at the packaging of both, and then realize that Necromancer Island has a $10 price tag on it. I'm frustrated, knowing its supposed to be free, and ask the manager about it. He tells me its only free with the purchase of the full Small World game. I bring up DoW's website on my phone, put Be Not Afraid in my cart, and show him the free copy of Necromancer Island included. He doesn't budge.

I put everything I'd picked up (around $60 of merch, not that it matters a ton) back and left.

Am I justifiably irritated, or am I being unreasonable? I'd really prefer to support the LGS than buy direct from DoW, but I'm not paying $10 bucks for a free expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B.
United States
Northumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We think you should let DOW know about this. They aren't playing fair. According to the website, NI is FREE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid 10$ more to buy both of them on DoW store, shipping included...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not unreasonable. If it really came to it, you could buy and return the full game a few mins later to get the expansion free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Galazka
United States
Park Ridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have just been glad you found it, most stores no longer have copies of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brady
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Your irritation is justifiable. Days of Wonder advertises Necromancer Island as a free gift to Small World players, then allows distributors and stores to disregard the intent.

I had a similar issue with my local store. They said the distribuotr would only give Necromancer Island with the purchase of two copies of the full game. I wrote DoW and got a BS response that it is only free with purchases of the full game. As you know, their website states otherwise. How is Necromancer Island a free gift for Small World fans if you can only get it with a purchase of the full game?

I would still write DoW and express your concern. I think it is important for DoW to know the headaches this free promotion is causing fans.

I share your frustration!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For $10 I would just be happy that I can add it to my collection.

To me it is not about cost. It is about the enjoyment gained from getting the game.

If you don't grab these expansions while you can, they may dissapear and you will lose your window of opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-read the DOW information on this. Are you sure you are not misunderstanding?

I read this as DOW will give away a copy of NI with a pre-purchase of BnA from their web store. Retailers will also have copies to give out with the purchase of a SW game.

I did not find any reference which promised retailers were giving them away with a purchase of BnA.

I do think reselling them individually is sketchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my understanding as well. It certainly wasn't a "free gift" when I got it, I had to pay for BNA as a preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting for my copy of NI to arrive. I pre-ordered from DOW just to make sure I'd get a copy. BNA came, but no NI. I contacted DOW, they say they are shipping a NI to me. Waiting......patiently......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobtina O'Riely
msg tools
mbmb
My LGS is trying to sell them for $20...soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so everyone knows, DOW gave Necromancer Island away free with purchases of Be Not Afraid at Essen.

I had a friend pick them up for me when he was there. That signifies to me that NI should be given free to customers who purchase BNA.

Why give NI away free with the purchase of BNA at Essen if that wasn't the intention of DOW? Just saying.

I'd also point out that DOW really messed this promo up with how they worded it at their own site. There is no indication that any purchase is necessary. It isn't entirely clear that BNA or SW main game needs to be purchased to receive NI. I've attached the paragraph from the news section at DOW's website. Although it is pretty clear that NI was free to the game stores which to me indicates that they shouldn't be charging for NI.

"As a thank you for the incredible response given to Small World since its launch, Days of Wonder is giving away the Necromancer Island scenario as a free holiday gift to Small World fans! Beginning in mid-November, game stores around the world will have free copies of Necromancer Island available for Small World fans. Visitors to the Days of Wonder booth at both Essen Spiel in October; or BoardGameGeek.CON in November will also be able to pick one up. In addition a copy of Necromancer Island will automatically be added to any pre-orders for the Be Not Afraid… expansion in the Days of Wonder webstore.

Necromancer Island is a limited-edition printing and this offer is available only while supplies last so make plans to visit your local game store in November to pick up yours. Learn more on the Necromancer Island web page."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
I look at the packaging of both, and then realize that Necromancer Island has a $10 price tag on it. I'm frustrated, knowing its supposed to be free, and ask the manager about it. He tells me its only free with the purchase of the full Small World game. I bring up DoW's website on my phone, put Be Not Afraid in my cart, and show him the free copy of Necromancer Island included. He doesn't budge.

Was DoW going to ship it free, too? What were they going to charge?

If Dow is offering and shipping it free, I guess that's the route to go.

If not, wouldn't it be worth the difference to get it at the LGS as the cost of having it available to you then and there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the frustration, but I don't think I see how the retailer is compelled to give it to you for free just because they preordered it and got it for free.
(The Troll & Toad guys sell stuff for way more than the MSRP was back in the day. That frustrates me too.)
We're free to vote with our dollars. I suggest you write a letter to the store owner saying that he/she missed out on a big purchase because you were so pissed off that you decided not to buy anything. Then I'd give them a chance to make good. If that didn't happen, it might turn me off from going to that store again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was definitely free at my FLGS. I bought Be Not Afraid and they pulled it out from behind the counter and told me it was a free inclusion with the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tombstone007 wrote:
Why give NI away free with the purchase of BNA at Essen if that wasn't the intention of DOW? Just saying.

Because that was at Essen. I have friends who got other free promo stuff at Essen, and that stuff is not free here.

I'm truly willing to be convinced that the game store should give NI free if they have it, with a purchase of Be Not Afraid, but so far no one has convinced me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brady
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
tombstone007 wrote:
I'm truly willing to be convinced that the game store should give NI free if they have it, with a purchase of Be Not Afraid, but so far no one has convinced me.

From the Necromancer Island page of the Days of Wonder site: "Necromancer Island is a free, limited-edition scenario available from game retailers worldwide ..."

If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
DaysOfWonder wrote:
Beginning in mid-November, game stores around the world will have free copies of Necromancer Island available for Small World fans.

This seems pretty clear to me.

I purchased BNA from my FLGS, and they gave Necromancer Island to me for free... as they should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the first comment in this thread.

This will be hard to find in stores

and this thread

Does the pre-order offers extend to other online shops or just direct purchase of DOW?

and finally

Weird Essen Experience

The reality is this expansion is only free in marketing speak. It is really an inducement/reward that you will not be indvidually charged for (by DOW) either as a retailer or end user. If I was a retailer and needed to order a number of SW base games to receive this, I think I might set some requirements on people getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smbrady wrote:
tombstone007 wrote:

From the Necromancer Island page of the Days of Wonder site: "Necromancer Island is a free, limited-edition scenario available from game retailers worldwide ..."

That convinces me that anyone can walk into a retailer and say,"I'm not buying anything. Now give me my free Necromancer Island, please."

So, I'm convinced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
smbrady wrote:
tombstone007 wrote:

That convinces me that anyone can walk into a retailer and say,"I'm not buying anything. Now give me my free Necromancer Island, please."

So, I'm convinced.

Huh? I believe what people are saying is that it's a freebie given out by retailers for other purchases. Like I said earlier, I got it for FREE when I bought "Be Not Afraid"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a retailer I can let you know that we received 5 copies free for every two copies of the base game we bought from our distributor. I am not charging for them and I'm giving them out on a first come first served basis. If someone buys BnA I am giving them one as it is an indication that they own Small World but it's not a requirement to buy BnA in order to get Necromancer Island. Also, since the number of copies of NI we got was unrelated to the number of copies of BnA we got I can't guarantee that buying BnA will get you NI (as we may have run out). Clear as mud?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:
I'm still waiting for my copy of NI to arrive. I pre-ordered from DOW just to make sure I'd get a copy. BNA came, but no NI. I contacted DOW, they say they are shipping a NI to me. Waiting......patiently......

Day of Wonder rock! They shipped me my copy of NI and I got it today. Wonderful customer service. I can't speak enough good things about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I paid $15 for it at the DoW online store. But it did come with a free extra copy of Grand Dames that I might be able to give away...

Yep... Having bought all of the other expansions already, that's the cheapest way to get it (well, the physical tokens anyways.)

The Necromancer Island situation reminds me of buying the Dominion promos; "I already own the dozen Rio Grande games I would want to buy, so... I pay you $5 for 11 cards."

I think you should be annoyed at the LGS guy, but it's not too surprising. Maybe try haggling. Get him down to $5. Or, since you were buying $60 of stuff already, ask a different, less bitchy employee if he'll throw it in for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Landers
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NI was only free from DoW as a preorder with BNA. It is up to retailers what they do with it. If DoW intended it to be free with BNA, it would have been included in the packaging. clear and simple. If you really cared about getting NI you would have pre-ordered it. Trying to make up deals that never existed and scam your LGS is lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.