Subject: The Color Out of Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased Dunwich Horror and while playing, noticed that the Color Out of Space monster is both physically and magically immune. Can I still use my base fight dice in combat or is this thing invincible except by closing a gate with a matching symbol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use still your base fight dice against it, as well as any dice you add by spending clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use dice added by allies or skills to either Fight or Combat Checks. However, I'm not at all sure how an Athame would work or not work... I suspect it would be considered physical, and do nothing, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Athame doesn't say "Physical Weapon" for nothing you know whistle .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Athame doesn't say "Physical Weapon" for nothing you know whistle .

Well, I do now.

And should have before.

Boy, do I feel silly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys. Apparently these particular monsters are going to be troublesome. Also I noticed that the correct Lovecraftian name for my post should have been "The Colour Out of Space"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, there are two decent ways to go after the Colour Out of Space:

1) A character with the martial arts skill. Note that each empty hand adds +2 to combat which has no type. Your fists apparently are not physical or magical weapons. So go kung fu kick the Colour Out of Space back into space.

2) A character with a high maximum fight value and a lot of whiskey. Often characters with high fight do not have a lot of sanity, so it will often be necessary to load up on spare whiskey to limit the sanity loss due to the inevitable failed horror check. Plus it's a hilarious mental image to think of some burly investigator drunkenly stumbling out of the bushes, muttering to himself with his last bits of sanity about how he strangled a Colour to death with his bare hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However Atheme would still give you the +1 to combat, so it's not all bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordZon wrote:
However Atheme would still give you the +1 to combat, so it's not all bad.

It won't. Physical Immunity turns +1 -> +0, negating any and all boni to combat checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
However, shotguns still give you hits on 6's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you had to mention the shotgun. Sigh... prepare to receive "the shotgun rant"

(shuffles off to find a quite spot to wait it out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's immune to the shotgun's effects. You were kidding, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, he wasn't. I warned this would happen. Much has been said on this topic, but the 6s count twice effect is not subject to immunity/resistance.

(retreats back to bunker, finds a corner to weep in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordZon wrote:
It's immune to the shotgun's effects. You were kidding, right?

FAQ:

"Q: Does Physical/Magical Immunity/Resistance prevent the
secondary effects of a Physical/Magical Weapon or Spell?
A: No. These monster abilities only reduce and/or eliminate
the bonus to the combat check provided by a weapon.
This has no effect on the item’s other abilities." (p. 5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, according to the posts here, the three best ways to deal with a Colour out of Space are:

1. Have an investigator with the martial arts skill and beat it silly with bare hands.

2. Have some "spare" Whiskey to offset the sanity damage and beat it silly with bare hands.

3. Have a shotgun handy.

All very unlikely since there are only a few of each of these cards embedded into fairly large decks. Even though it's still going to require some luck, the best method I've had getting rid of these is to close a gate with a matching symbol. Other than that, I just avoid the damn things altogether!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also go buy the innsmouth expansion and get hank samson. He kills everything and then laughs about it, and is easily and unequivocally the best street cleaner in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoganbball23 wrote:
Also go buy the innsmouth expansion and get hank samson. He kills everything and then laughs about it, and is easily and unequivocally the best street cleaner in the game.

I have Innsmouth and you're right, Hank's a tank. With his "no horror check" ability, he was made to kick Color out of Space ass... or whatever those things have that passes for an ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
White Knight wrote:
So, according to the posts here, the three best ways to deal with a Colour out of Space are:

1. Have an investigator with the martial arts skill and beat it silly with bare hands.

2. Have some "spare" Whiskey to offset the sanity damage and beat it silly with bare hands.

3. Have a shotgun handy.

All very unlikely since there are only a few of each of these cards embedded into fairly large decks. Even though it's still going to require some luck, the best method I've had getting rid of these is to close a gate with a matching symbol. Other than that, I just avoid the damn things altogether!

Or you forgot about the really obvious way of dealing with it. Have an investigator with his/her fight maxed and either a sanity of at least 5 or a few clue tokens to pass the horror check go and slap it silly.

The Horror Check and immunities are terrifying but when you get past those its really not that bad. It has a 0 combat modifier and deals 1 stamina damage. Even with a low stamina investigator you'd get 3 chances to roll the dice. Even with a fight of 4 you have a 40% chance of killing it with just 1 fight check and better than 50% of killing it if you can roll against it more than once (and it dealing 1 stamina damage you better be able to).

I mean you might not want to take a auto 4 sanity hit but 1 successful die roll when it moves and you will take just as much sanity (in a 4+ player game) loss so killing it that way really isn't bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.