King's Breakfast» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
With time left in the session, the next game out was King Lui or King's Breakfast. A quick filler card game of trying to collect sets of cards but no more than "the King". The interesting twist is that the final limit is developed as the game is played. In addition, the limit can be adjusted by having the King's pet dragon (Emerald) consume some of the cards. Early in the game, when Rich picked up 4 breads that had been dealt, Jeff used Emerald to eat 2 of the King's 3 breads hoping to make it difficult for Rich to score bread. Jeff repeated the tactic with fruit reducing the King from 5 to 3 fruits after Rich picked up a couple of fruits. That play probably was the key to victory as Jeff outscored Rich 84 to 82 (with Lawrence at 68). The King never drew more fruit, so Rich's 5 fruit in hand scored nothing. (As an aside, sufficient bread was served to the King that Rich did score the 4 bread he drew early on.)

Personally, I find King Lui to be a pleasant filler. The cards are colourful and seem to attract attention when played where others can see the game. There doesn't appear to be much in terms of decisions as one stack or two seems to be the obvious choice each round. As different players have different hand built up, I actually find it rare that multiple players have the same stack as their first choice. I do believe a person who can track cards played might do better knowing that certain cards are no longer available (was this part of Jeff's plan when he had Emerald consume the fruit), but one certainly can enjoy the game without such a skill. In fact, my 6 year old daughter has easily understood the concept of getting no more than the King. The only difficulty for her is realizing the relative value of cards (ie the more the King has, the more valuable the card might be in hand). But even then, she enjoys the game also. The game plays quickly (we were done in 15 minutes), and several rounds could be played easily as a filler or as a lunch group game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.