Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon 39, Nadine 37

In an exception that proves the rule, I win with one fewer large buildings, but just barely, despite a much more developed board.

Round
Roles
Jon build
Nadine build
Notes

1 (J)
B - Pp - C
Jrefecture
N:-
An early Prefecture is godlike in two player, better than library, as it is two cards cheaper. Nadine has no answer.

2 (N)
B - Pp - C
J:-
N:Quarry
Nadine favors Quarry. She starts with lots of good cards, and has to throw them away. I take Prospector, leaving Nadine nothing useful to do but Councelor, which is better for me.

3 (J)
B - Pr - Pp
J:Silver
Nrefecture
My Councelor monopoly ends. I think the Pr was a mistake on Nadine's part, as it also helps me more.

4 (N)
C - B - Pp
J:Quarry
-

5 (J)
T - B - C
J:Smithy
N:Coffee
-

6 (N)
Pr - B - T
J:Market Hall
I'm now two buildings ahead.

7 (J)
C - B - Pr
J:Coffee
N:Carpenter
-

8 (N)
C - T - Pp
We are both over hand limits, and not overly concerned

9 (J)
C - B - Pp
J:Tower
N:Silver
I rarely build Tower, but I haven't seen a 6 point building, yet, and I produce enough to make use of it.

10 (N)
Pr - C - B
J:Guild Hall
N:City Hall
I Councel a 6 pointer finally.

11 (J)
Pr - T - B
J:City Hall
N:Guild Hall
City Hall pulled from trading.

12 (N)
Pr - T - B
J:Hero
Nalace
I never see Palace, so I build the best I can.

13 (J)
C - T - Pp
I could have ended the game, but I give it one more round.

14 (N)
B
J:Silver
N:Hero
-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Johnston
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Shade_Jon (#455661),

Thanks for writing these reports out in full. I find two-player SJ to be very interesting and it's great to see other people's thought processes.

Quote:
1 (J)
B - Pp - C
Jrefecture

2 (N)
B - Pp - C
N:Quarry

I think in Nadia's position on turn 2 I would rather Prospector first action, leaving build for the other player, who may not be able to (or may not want to build). Then if they choose not to build (with a Prefecture in play if they have a poor selection in hand they may well council) you get to build last action, making a card. And I don't think I ever pick councillor this early in the game when an opponent has a Prefecture (although she found a Prefecture, so I guess it worked for her).

P.S. I see from a count of your builds you play the Indigo variant. Do you find that better for two player ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon J (#456620),

What is the "Indigo" variant? We both started with an Indigo. Is there another way to start?

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Johnston
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shade_Jon (#456639),

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The main rules specify that each player receives a free indigo and four cards at the start of the game, and then goes onto list an alternative method where you start with no buildings and each player receives a differing number of cards based on position and keeps four of them. I had got the impression from discussions here that the second method had become the establised standard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the variant, each player still starts with on indigo plant on the table. Only the distribution of the 4 starting hand cards is changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.