United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're considering changing from Office 2000 and Groupwise to Office 2010 and Outlook all at once, I have some advice for you. As a warm-up exercise to prepare yourself for what you will experience try slamming your head in a heavy (preferably metal) door over and over until you lose consciousness. Repeat until you can no longer remember what e-mail is anymore. Then start with the paper cuts and lemon juice.

So, how is everyone else's week going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb

We recently switched from hosting our own email to gmail. It was a great experience...

I wasn't involved with any of it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

"In two hours we need to have lunch for about 20 people."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

I'm on vacation this week. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
If you're considering changing from Office 2000 and Groupwise to Office 2010 and Outlook all at once, I have some advice for you. As a warm-up exercise to prepare yourself for what you will experience try slamming your head in a heavy (preferably metal) door over and over until you lose consciousness. Repeat until you can no longer remember what e-mail is anymore. Then start with the paper cuts and lemon juice.

Ahhh, IT. Don't you just love it when companies execute changes like this? My forehead is calloused enough that banging my head no longer hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My week is going alright. Same as the week before. Fixing databases that customers screw up!

Your e-mail switch reminds me of a story from 2006, when I was working the IT Help Desk at my college.

So one night, the Network/Sysadmins decided to switch the e-mail server/application without telling anyone. They just cut over one night. They also changed the URL of the web interface without informing anyone. In 8 hours we had almost 600 calls (with 3 people answering phones) about e-mail and how to get to it and how to use it. I've never wanted to punch them more than that day. If it wasn't summer, I'm sure we would have gotten even more calls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo.... I've already wasted 25 minutes trying to get a botched Office 2010 install off this PC and when it finally cooperates and begins to uninstall all the automatic (you know, for convenience) installs kick in and kill it.

So angry right now. So. Very. Angry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what you get for not using Outlook in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about doing all the leg work for the past year on a massive project, spend many many hours of unpaid overtime on it, just to have some middle manager swoop in and reassign it to his group 2 weeks before it was due, and take all the credit for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
How about doing all the leg work for the past year on a massive project, spend many many hours of unpaid overtime on it, just to have some middle manager swoop in and reassign it to his group 2 weeks before it was due, and take all the credit for it?
I spent about three months coding a supply requisition form to completely revamp our ordering system. It was a project I was given because no one else wanted it... until a VP decided it was important. I was 98% done (I was working on cookies to save incomplete forms to be finished later) when one of our managers came to my desk and had me delete all the code because 'We stopped using that language' (in favor of Silverlight, good call).

I had to delete all my code and that was it. That manager later got fired. So, you know, there's that at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I talk about my week too or is it limited to IT guys? Actually, I think I'm technically also IT as well? Or application support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rappak wrote:
Can I talk about my week too or is it limited to IT guys? Actually, I think I'm technically also IT as well? Or application support.

Please, go on. Any work-place horror stories are great to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
Rappak wrote:

Please, go on. Any work-place horror stories are great to read!
Indeed, share away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the solution is simple: eliminate the e-mail servers. That will force people to walk down the hall and actually talk to other people in the office.

Either productivity will go through the roof, or it will come to a grinding halt. Either way, it will free up a lot of your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Um.. not my product group, but two others this week switch from one PDM to a different one*. So that's been a real headache for them. But we aren't switching for another 9-12 months, so they get to work all the bugs out. From what I've heard 90% of the questions are in the training material that was covered in person sessions (that many people skipped) or in the pdf guide (that they haven't read.)

My week has been pretty ok.

*Product Center to Windchill if you were interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
*Product Center to Windchill if you were interested.
Nope.

But thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
I think the solution is simple: eliminate the e-mail servers. That will force people to walk down the hall and actually talk to other people in the office.

Either productivity will go through the roof, or it will come to a grinding halt. Either way, it will free up a lot of your time.

Oh people still come to my office. With copies of an email I just sent them printed out. Maybe something circled they weren't sure about. You know, just a quick question. Wouldn't want to bother me with an email reply or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
BigChzy wrote:
Oh people still come to my office. With copies of an email I just sent them printed out. Maybe something circled they weren't sure about. You know, just a quick question. Wouldn't want to bother me with an email reply or anything.
ARRRRRRGHGHGHHGHGH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
See, this is what the old usenet groups alt.tech-support.recovery and alt.sysadmin.recovery were for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got a server to server connection that's on the fritz. I'm a developer but since it's critical to my project and I seem to have a better grasp on the problem than the admins I keep getting roped back in. My manager is furious because nobody has done anything without me holding their hand and making them talk to each other. I have other projects with tight deadlines and this is not something I should be wasting my time on.

Overall I guess it doesn't bother me that much (not many things do) but I do find it slightly frustrating to explain basic networking principles to a server admin so they can figure out what to try next. I'm always amazed how people develop such narrow specializations and don't even bother to have a general understanding of how things crucial to their own success work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.