Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Your finality answer is….??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
Would you back a huge scientific endeavor that, at its conclusion, would prove or disprove the existence of an all powerful entity?

Assumptions:
It would he financially a stretch to do but possible (aka the Economy isn’t in the terlet.).
The results would be beyond a shadow of doubt, irrefutable evidence no faith required (No anti-AGW ing the results).
It wouldn’t disprove any specific religion but would prove that some sort of intelligent design does exist.


Poll
Would you support this project?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
69.6% 32
No
30.4% 14
Voters 46
This poll is now closed.   46 answers
Poll created by rcbevco
Closes: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:00 am




EDIT: I've added two threads Yes/NO to discuss the ramifications of "the truth". This thread is IF we could find out, should we?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I need a third option -- "the assumptions given are incompatible with reality".

Given the number of people who think the Earth is less than 10K years old I suspect that the challenge to "beyond a shadow of a doubt" evidence lies not with the evidence but with the way we accept or reject it.
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
[...]scientific[...]prove[...]


No because its clearly a fraud!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I think I need a third option -- "the assumptions given are incompatible with reality".

Given the number of people who think the Earth is less than 10K years old I suspect that the challenge to "beyond a shadow of a doubt" evidence lies not with the evidence but with the way we accept or reject it.


Ok Mr. Parade D. Rainer Esq., The whole thing is hypothetical to begin with. angry

My angle is to discuss the societal response (yay or neigh) to this discovery IF it were possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd spend every dime I have for the chance to explore the mysteries of space, so this? Sure, I love answers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chad's point (and mine as well when I first read your OP) is that even if it were 'proven' there would still be people who believed otherwise. (Whether proven true or false..), so the only 'truth' is that the 'truth' wouldn't matter in the end.

Faith is faith in spite of reality.

Skepticism is skepticism despite evidence to the contrary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalGameBoy wrote:
I think Chad's point (and mine as well when I first read your OP) is that even if it were 'proven' there would still be people who believed otherwise. (Whether proven true or false..), so the only 'truth' is that the 'truth' wouldn't matter in the end.

Faith is faith in spite of reality.

Skepticism is skepticism despite evidence to the contrary.


first, sure I'd back the program- but

1) anyone with faith would ignore the results.
2) the morality of that big being would matter. Sure "Satan" exists and "God" doesn't. Does that make me want to live a life of evil? Nah.

---

As far as this thread, I disagree with your definition of skepticism.
To use your text...
Faith is faith in spite of reality.

Skepticism is doubting: marked by or given to doubt; "a skeptical attitude"; "a skeptical listener"

and then...

Faith is skepticism despite evidence to the contrary.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
As far as this thread, I disagree with your definition of skepticism.
To use your text...
Faith is faith in spite of reality.

Skepticism is doubting: marked by or given to doubt; "a skeptical attitude"; "a skeptical listener"

and then...

Faith is skepticism despite evidence to the contrary.

Yeah, that's cool too. I was writing quickly and was making the 'flow' of the two sentences to sound the same.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, since this proof is not within the field of scientific research.

I don`t use my hammer to paint my wall.

Since I am an atheist, I don`t even have a wall, so I don`t need to think about that, either. Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
No, since this proof is not within the field of scientific research.

I don`t use my hammer to paint my wall.

Since I am an atheist, I don`t even have a wall, so I don`t need to think about that, either. Thanks.


See earlier exchange, it's a hypothetical. It really doesn't matter that it doesn't work so well in reality.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
Sorry if I "ham (sandwich) fisted" this thread. shake I got rid of the others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Sorry if I "ham (sandwich) fisted" this thread. shake I got rid of the others.


Actually, you got rid of your first posts. The threads will live on as a constant reminder to you of what you have done.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
Geosphere wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Sorry if I "ham (sandwich) fisted" this thread. shake I got rid of the others.


Actually, you got rid of your first posts. The threads will live on as a constant reminder to you of what you have done.



The shame will never leave me as long as I live.....cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Sorry if I "ham (sandwich) fisted" this thread. :shake: I got rid of the others.


Actually, you got rid of your first posts. The threads will live on as a constant reminder to you of what you have done.



The shame will never leave me as long as I live.....:cry:


I'm still frustrated. I'll trade you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
How much money are we talking about here?

Personally, I'd rather that we backed the big particle accellerator that was going to be bigger than the CERN reactor- which got axed anyway.

If your 'big project' is about 5-20million, sure. What the heck.

If your 'big project' is closer to 1 billion, then no. There are other programs that are endangered that are worth much more.

Darilian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Taltos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I think I need a third option -- "the assumptions given are incompatible with reality".

Given the number of people who think the Earth is less than 10K years old I suspect that the challenge to "beyond a shadow of a doubt" evidence lies not with the evidence but with the way we accept or reject it.


I agree. Had to vote no.

Anything "may" be possible to prove, but your your basic question is not big enough. It relies on the answers to other basic questions about "knowledge", "reality" & "Faith" that have yet to be answered, outside of the purely theoretical answers from Science or Theology.

There is a good discussion of the depth of this quandry in a Heinlien book, where they decide to fund your question, only to realize they have to ask more and answer those first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
How much money are we talking about here?

Personally, I'd rather that we backed the big particle accellerator that was going to be bigger than the CERN reactor- which got axed anyway.

If your 'big project' is about 5-20million, sure. What the heck.

If your 'big project' is closer to 1 billion, then no. There are other programs that are endangered that are worth much more.

Darilian


And thats the problem, each Congressman has their own $5-20M pet project. They all add up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
How much money are we talking about here?

Personally, I'd rather that we backed the big particle accellerator that was going to be bigger than the CERN reactor- which got axed anyway.

If your 'big project' is about 5-20million, sure. What the heck.

If your 'big project' is closer to 1 billion, then no. There are other programs that are endangered that are worth much more.

Darilian


just print some more money it's for science after all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
I voted NO.
But now I'm thinking that there would be a significant scientific knowledge gain if a significant IDer could be shown to exist. But its a total wash-out if it shows "No IDer exists".

I'm sitting with NO cause if such research exists then we'll get round to it eventually. (Probably.) And it'll be much cheaper to do then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Personally, I'd rather that we backed the big particle accellerator that was going to be bigger than the CERN reactor- which got axed anyway.


I think that it's a pity we do not have any such big project to bolster morale. Even if it's economically unsound by common metrics, I think the global civilisation's enthusiasm is bolstered by pharaonic perspectives.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.