Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to pass a warning on to others about my experience with getting a replacement piece for MONPOC from privateer press.

This occurred last fall after I purchased some series 1 monster packs. I recieved in one pack the the Ultra Armodax and a regular Terra Kahn. So as directed I took the base off my ultra Armodax and mailed it in explaining the situation and waited for my replacement ultra Terra KAhn. After a month with nothing I emailed and got a response from AJ saying that it was sent but they will send another. Still nothing after another month, and repeated emails from AJ saying they sent it and no idea why i wasn't getting it. Seriously after 4 months and at least 10 emails later I was sure i would not recieve anything, but surprisingly about 4.5 months later a package from Privateer press. FINALLY. But of course they sent me the wrong thing. They sent me one figure, the Regular Armodax.Now remember I sent them my base from the Ultra Armodax and requested the Ultra Terra kahn ultra as a replacement. So i emailed and said my Armodax is great but I ripped my Ultra Armodax apart to send you the base so I still didn't have a matching set. Several emails again saying yes we sent it never proved to be true and I gave up.

I have since sold my collection but still, I have never experienced such terrible service.

buyer beware
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AJ is terrible when it come to getting the right things in the mail. Yours is about the 5th identical story I've heard, mine included. I did evetuall;y get the right figure, but it was a nightmare of "I don't know why you didn't get it" and a stubborn refusal to provide me with any sort of a tracking number.

I don't know if he's just overwhelmed with the number of requests, or what, but I'd never send any figures back to PP for replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are pretty much terrible at any communication to customers, be it an order you've placed, replacement you've requested or anything involving press-ganger notifications or events.

It's a shame, really, because their games and products are so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same story here. AJ alyways insisted that the figure was sent but it never arrived. As it looks like this happens on a regular basis, I call AJ lazy. I'm sure he never sends out anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One or more players from one of the other Privateer games reported the same problem so its not limited to just the Monsterpocalypse.

Why they don't just tell the truth and say. "oops, sorry, your request got lost in the shuffle, (again,) and we will try to get on it this time for sure!(maybee...)"

Trotting out the near exact same "We sent it, you didn't get it?" over and over, while baulking at supplying a shipping or tracking number just adds fuel to suspicions and erodes whats otherwise a pretty good game company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a completely missing piece from a Series 4 monster booster. (Mucustos, I don't remember which form.) I emailed, and got my figure with no problem.

Obviously, I'm not claiming they always get it right. But they don't always get it wrong, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats the way it allways is.
When the service is good, its good, but good golly when its bad... ugh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kouzmanoff
United States
Champaign
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear of your situation. It's such a bummer, because like 50% of the stuff I've bought for Monpoc has something broken or mispacked in it. I bought two starters and two monster boosters at Gencon last year, and got 2.5 monsters out of it, half the units I was supposed to get, triple the dice, and no health trackers. It was like a drunk guy packed the starters.

I did manage to get replacement monsters, but only after 9 emails and about two weeks of waiting. The replacements arrived, they still forgot the health trackers, and one of the monsters had its arm snapped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roper
United States
San Tan Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I just recently purchased 3 2-player box sets and one of the monsters came with the wrong hyper form. I contacted PP and told them the situation, after a few days I called back and they assured me that it willed be shipped the next day. After hearing all of these stories I dont hold much hope of ever getting my Ultra form Yasheth. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread as well:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/460762/argh-pp-hasnt-given-m...

If people are smart, they won't give PP any money until they treat their customers better. MonPoc is good and all, but for the amount of money you pay for it, you should expect better customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken watanabe
United States
mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the battle box and it was missing both Monster Health trackers :( i've emailed twice with no response. Any geeks have extras?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isnt that their standard "oops" letter that people get over and over and over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the good news is that we know from experience that persistence, a-lot of persistence, in hammering on their customer service will get results...
Eventually. zombie

You just have to be prepared for the long siege... sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Laufgraben
United States
Ballwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Strangely enough, I had EXACTLY the same problem as the original poster. I mean, even with the same wrong monsters! However, today I received replacements from Privateer, so they did make everything right. I just wanted to let everyone know that they seem intent to do the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If by intent to do the right thing you mean give people the run-around for up to a year... Then yeah... whistle

It seems that they actually DO something when the complaints reach some sort of critical mass. (maybee...)

Congrats that you got your stuff though. Lets hope the others on the rather long list get the same good treatment.

I'd love to say that Im surprised this happens. But unfortunately I can name at least a dozen game companies large and small with various... issues...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roper
United States
San Tan Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtnapper73 wrote:
Damn, I just recently purchased 3 2-player box sets and one of the monsters came with the wrong hyper form. I contacted PP and told them the situation, after a few days I called back and they assured me that it willed be shipped the next day. After hearing all of these stories I dont hold much hope of ever getting my Ultra form Yasheth. cry

Update: After reading all of the problems people were having with PP I hunkered down and expected the long wait for my missing items (I ordered a 2-player battle box and received Yasheth's normal form and cthugrosh's ultra form). But after coming home from work today I check the mail and was suprised to see a box from Privateer Press. I open it and inside was the right ultra form of Yasheth and a normal form of cthugrosh with a note that read "Sorry for the mix up, enjoy both monsters! Adam."

So Adam not only sent the right monster out to me within a week and half of emailing him, he also sent me the other form. Needless to say I was very pleased with the service. With any luck they have done some new hiring at PP and I hope my experience becomes the norm and not the exception.

Good luck to everyone else with their missing parts. Maybe PP needs to take a serious look at their manufactures and start doing some of their own screaming. Because this kind of inconsistency in addition to bad customer service for such a great game is a quick way to ensure its failure.

Thanks gain Adam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun, Jul 18, 2010
Hi, I got a Rise booster pack with a nuclear power plant in it that had no
rubble card. I'd appreciate it if you could send me the card. Thanks, Rich

Monday, July 19, 2010
Hello Rich,

Sorry for the mispack trouble, I will send your replacement package
immediately. It will be sent USPS and reach you in 5 business days,
please let me know if you do not receive it within that time.

Adam

Thu, Jul 29, 2010
It has now been 8 business days. Has my card been sent out yet?

Friday, July 30, 2010
Hi Rich,

The tile was mailed out and should have reached you by today, I will resend a new one at a higher priority right away.

-Adam

Fri, Aug 6, 2010
It has been another 6 business days and still no card. Are you guys just hoping that I will forget about it or just give up in frustration?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Hey Rich,

Adam is out of the office, I am going to send you another one, which should arrive in 5 business days.
Thank you for your paitence

Thu, Aug 19, 2010
And another 7 business days go by and yet no card. This is actually kind of funny. I mean how insanely bad your customer service is. So please reply back with another false promise just to humor me will you?

Friday, August 20
Hello Rich,

My apologies for long wait, I was unable to confirm if a package was mailed in my absence and have resent the tile myself. The package is in transit now and can be tracked from this number on the USPS website: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The package was just picked up so the number should be active in under 12 hours and the package should reach you no later than Tuesday.

-Adam

Three days later I finally received the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You allmost get the feeling the "we sent it to you. You didnt get it? We'll send another!" is an automated response... More likely they have it memoriized by now... ahem...

zombie

As said. If you hammer on them enough, you will get results. Not allways the right item, but persistence will prevail eventually. Just expect to have to seige them for possibly months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken watanabe
United States
mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i received my Monster Trackers today with a personal note and a telephone number from Adam to call him when i receive. I couldn't be happier and i will continue to buy from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the 2n time that I can recall this whole song-n-dance going around and Id guess others may recount more.

Sadly this is no indicator of change. This whole routine just repeats and in a few months to a year we'll see this all over again.

And some people never got their stuff the last time this hit critical mass and Privateer reacted finally.

As long as the game has such unusually high occurrence of bad packing this will likely continue. If they can at least diminish the frequency of incidents then things may hit a point they can actually handle the requests for replacements.

It would help also if they just told the truth that the requests just got lost in the shuffle or they are waiting for stock to replenish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to operate under the delusion that someone at PP read this, and they said "You know what? Let's stop having crappy service." And now everything will be roses and rainbows.

What can I say? I'm an optimist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
Praxus wrote:
I'm going to operate under the delusion that someone at PP read this, and they said "You know what? Let's stop having crappy service." And now everything will be roses and rainbows.

I'm not sure that's too far from the truth...
on the official forums, we bitched for a couple weeks about there not being a repository of official ability text and suddenly one day, there it was.
we bitched about lack of updates and suddenly we got photo previews.
there was a lot of griping for a while about the barrier to entry, and the 2-player battle boxes come out (most assuredly after extensive focus testing; i'm not about to suggest that we single-handedly spawned the battle boxes)
Now, the hotbutton seems to be the customer service, with lots of threads devoted to it... and we get recent glowing stories.

Could be confirmational bias, sure, but I know they at least skim the official forums, and wouldn't be surprised in the least if they kept a shortlist of "things the customers are really pissed about"

I know I submitted a ticket asking for replacement protectors for deimos-9, because i threw mine away and now he keeps breaking... nothing happened after the first 2 forms I submitted or after the email i sent directly... but i tried again recently and got an emailed response. let's hope my experience is as good as others'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had a problem getting a promo figure redeemed. It was a pain in the butt to get one, I had to send a ticket like 3 times before I got it.

I guess I should feel lucky I did get it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Laverty
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had nothing but positive experiences with Privateer Press. I submitted an email in regards to a misprinted part and I recieved a personal email within 3 days. Then I received the part as promised, in a plastic package complete with protective foam. Plus their games kick ass.

Jeremy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally received my "I Chomp NY Limited Edition Mega Monster Pack" yesterday in the mail. I've been waiting for it to arrive (and all details finalized) before I chronicled the experience.

Back in July 2010 (please note the date of this posting) I was picking up a few Megas here and there and decided I would bite the bullet and pick up the final six Megas from I Chomp NY. I checked out the website and there was a note about the shipping being calculated wrong so I e-mailed the storefront account to confirm shipping costs. (July 25th, 2010)

I mostly forgot about it and since I didn't receive an answer I tried again on August 15th. Still no response. On the 24th I sent a note off to the webmaster address for the website and on the 25th of August Adam responded with a quote for shipping that I was fine with. I placed the order that day (August 25, 2010). I included a copy of Adam's e-mail in the shipping instructions just to ensure all the details were attached to the order.

About a week later the order was marked as "Complete" which I took to indicate the figures had been shipped. Since shipping from the US to Canada can be hit and miss, I put it on the back burner and waited (3-6 weeks is not out of line). Around the end of October I still hadn't received the figures and no charges had shown on my credit card bill. I sent a message through the online contact form (no external e-mail). I have no exact date of this e-mail as I have no confirmation it was sent.

On November 2, 2010 I contacted the store and webmaster e-mail addresses to find out what was going on. No response.

On November 9th I pulled out a big hammer and proceeded to send a message to everyone on the site I could. I spammed their entire directory (including sending a message to postmaster) to get in contact with someone. At this point I didn't know if there was still anyone alive at Privateer Press.

Later that day I received a response from Adam saying he would look into it and get back to me once he found out what had happened.

On November 22nd I still had no news from Adam. I sent another e-mail off to the frontdesk e-mail address looking for some answers.

On November 24th after still no response from Adam or anyone else at Privateer Press, I dug through their website and found a phone number. I finally got to speak with Adam and was told he would look into it and get back to me. I left my number and waited for his call.

No response. I tired to get in contact with Adam (or anyone) on November 26th (offices closed for the holiday - my bad) and on the 30th (snow storm?) with no luck. At this point my records are bit hit and miss because all communication moved to the phone.

After a few more phone calls the figures were finally shipped on the 2nd or 3rd of December. Adam was to look into the credit card charges and stated that there would be no charge for shipping. I had asked if there was a tracking number or any way to confirm the order had been shipped. Adam could not provide that information, but ensured that the order had gone out.

End of the story right? Nope...

On Friday night when I get home from gaming with friends I notice the following post:

Privateer Press I Chomp NY Megas Sale

Needless to say I wasn't happy. Monday morning (December 6th,2010) I phoned in again to Privateer Press and made it very clear that I needed to speak to a supervisor. Later that day I was contacted by William Shick who is the Marketing Coordinator/Retail Support for Privateer Press. We had a long conversation.

A few minutes after the end of our conversation I received an e-mail with the tracking number for my order from Mr. Shick. The order had cleared customs in Vancouver on the 4th of December. At this point I wasn't expecting anything before Christmas.

I'm having a bit of an issue with my local postal workers (they seem to have problems understanding my address) and due to Canada Post being special the package actually arrived for pickup on December 29th, 2010. I did not receive notice of it until January 10th, 2011, but that is no fault of Privateer Press.

Here's what I see from my point of view:

The Good:

At the end of it all I have my figures and they look just a good as you would expect from Privateer Press. They were well packed and Mr. Shick was very helpful and understanding. I spoke with him about this thread here on the geek and he was well aware of the issues. I found it very refreshing that I didn't have to explain what Boardgamegeek was, and yes they are monitoring.

The Bad:

I think I know what the problem is with their customer service. If you read this thread there is a common element involved with all of these issues. I pointed this out to Mr. Shick as well.

Communication is not a difficult thing and if you state you are going to do something, do it! I can't say definitively that I was lied to, but it sure felt like it. I can understand a missed e-mail, maybe shipping something late, but the above description is not an exaggeration. I should never have to spam a company directory just to get a response. I should never have to get my ugly face on to resolve a simple purchase.

The Ugly:

August 25th (July 25th was first contact) to December 29th to complete a simple order? This is not the 90s anymore, e-commerce is well established and quite simple. This isn't rocket science.

I think we might have all been a little spoiled by the fantastic customer service offered by the greats such as Rio Grande and Fantasy Flight. I try not to expect this level from any business, but showing respect for your customers is not an unreasonable expectation.

The Final Outcome:

After all was said and done I received my figures. However it happened I ended up getting the product without charge (problem with the initial order, Mr. Shick "fixing" things, dunno). That was nice but unnecessary. I was ok with the ~$40 for the figures when I ordered them in August, and getting them at ~$20 after everything that had happened I was fine with as well.

Free is good too...

My experience aside, I think Privateer Press is trying to fix this issue. It's always hard to recover from a bad customer service reputation and I think with a little time everything will be back to normal. They are aware of it and as far as I'm concerned that's the majority of the battle.

For the record I doubt I'll place another order through Privateer Press, but who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.