Subject: Wiretapping question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M D
United States
Cos Cob
CT
flag msg tools
I notice this card says "Mark." Does that mean that no cadres, cells, or plots can be played in US,UK or Canada until Leak gets played? If so, can they be placed there by events? If they do, does the US remove them then draw a card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's a one-time event.

It means that the Jihadist's have a new opportunity to play Leak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Cos Cob
CT
flag msg tools
Rick Young wrote:

It means that the Jihadist's have a new opportunity to play Leak.

Aha. Hadn't taken a look at Leak yet. I see now. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Young wrote:

Actually it can be played more than once, assuming multiple decks (or Oil Spike) and a play of Leak to remove it (notice that Wiretapping does not have a 'Remove' notation).

Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
YActually it can be played more than once, assuming multiple decks (or Oil Spike) and a play of Leak to remove it (notice that Wiretapping does not have a 'Remove' notation).

Yes, that is absolutely correct. It is NOT removed from the deck unless the card says REMOVE.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant one-time as in the effect does not last into the following turns, which is what the OP was asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can piggyback a question on this, if the jihadist player plays this card for Ops and there are no cadres, cells, or plots to be removed, does the US player still draw a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul. No. The "Wiretapping" event's precondition (gray text on the card) would not have been met in that case, so the event is not playable and does not occur or trigger (6.2.6, 6.3.2.1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interaction of "Wiretapping", "Enhanced Measures", "Renditions", and "Leak" -- Just to cover the original question in detail:

"Wiretapping", "Enhanced Measures", and "Renditions" have an immediate, one-time (generally pro-US) effect. They are marked in the Event Box to show that they meet the precondition for a subsequent play of "Leak". If they come up again and have not been blocked by "Leak", they can occur again and their one-time effect again obtain.

If "Leak" is played as an event when a "Wiretapping", "Enhanced Measures", and "Renditions" marker is in the Event Box (a precondition for "Leak" to occur), one such marker is FLIPPED (not removed, see "Leak" event text). The flipped event ("Wiretapping", "Enhanced Measures", or "Renditions") is blocked permanently (6.2.8) and the other effects of "Leak" are immediately implemented. As a reminder that the flipped event is blocked, the backside of each "Wiretapping", "Enhanced Measures", and "Renditions" marker says "Leak" and then the name of the blocked event in brackets (e.g. "[Wiretap]"). Brackets on event markers denote blocked events (see illustration page 5 and 6.2.8 NOTE).

In other words, once "Wiretapping", "Enhanced Measures", or "Renditions" is "Leaked", it becomes a dead event. (The US administration can no longer pursue a program that has become publicized and highly controversial.)

Hope that makes sense! Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Hi Paul. No. The "Wiretapping" event's precondition (gray text on the card) would not have been met in that case, so the event is not playable and does not occur or trigger (6.2.6, 6.3.2.1).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Jazz Jazz Jazz
msg tools
mbmbmb
I´m playing a PBEM game, and I played "wiretapping" event when there were 1 cell and 1 plot in US. As the jihaidist player has WMD plots, because islamist rule on Pakistan... is it possible to discard/remove a WMD plot through this event(like an alert operation) or this goes back to jihaidist's hand?

Excuse my english, thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Yes, "Wiretapping" removes all plots in the listed countries (per event text), including any WMD plots. Any WMD plots removed are out of the game (see 4.7.8.1 Note).

Well done!! -- Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Jazz Jazz Jazz
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer!

And, Volko, many thanks for a great design, full of tension and fun. I recommend a stick on the box noticing "not suitable for cardiac patients" laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.