Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what to do on this one. cool Following is the setup: One Space Marine (S) is backed up against the north wall of a 3x3 room. Another Space Marine is in the east doorway of the room. Both Space Marines are facing south. The Genestealer (G) is in the south doorway. 3 spaces behind the Genestealer in the south corridor is a Blip (B). Both Space Marines are on Overwatch, and the Genestealer turn starts.

XSX
XXXSX
XXX
blankG
blankX
blankX
blankX
blankB
blankX

The Genestealer moves diagonally northeast toward the Space Marine in the east doorway and ends up like this:

XSX
XXXSX
XXG
blankX
blankX
blankX
blankX
blankB
blankX

So after the Genestealer moves, both Space Marines take their Overwatch shots and miss. (I hope the Space Marine in the east doorway can see the Genstealer, even though he is facing south and not into the room.) The Blip is now revealed because it is in Line of Sight to the Space Marine in the north end of the room, so I guess that Space Marine takes an Overwatch shot at the first Genestealer model revealed (no matter how many there are).

Okay, after that shooting is done, the Genestealer takes a Close Assault on the Space Marine in the east doorway. The Space Marine at the north end of the room sees this action. Does he get an Overwatch shot before the Close Assault is resolved, or afterward?

Edit: I think I may be able to answer this myself after re-reading the rules for the millionth time. The Overwatch shot happens AFTER the Space Marine sees the Genestealer take his action, so the Close Assault must first be resolved, and the Space Marine cannot help his comrade in this situation other than to exact revenge.

Did I get anything wrong in this scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, the GS cannot close assault the marine in the doorway, you can only close assault a figure directly in front of you (i.e. no diagonals). Look at page 14 of the rulebook, has a pretty picture even.

But, suspending rules or let's say you have a houserule that allows diagonal close assault attacks, the Overwatch fire happens after the action takes place, so the GS attacks the marine. The marine in the middle of the room see this attack and definitely fires his gun. This happens after the Close Assault is finished, so the other marine may already be dead, but the GS is going to pay for it!

The only other thing you got wrong is the facing of the marine in the side hallway. Why on earth is he facing South and not West?!? If he was facing West, he'd get the most Overwatch shots off, best way to "guard" that kind of room

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The only other thing you got wrong is the facing of the marine in the side hallway. Why on earth is he facing South and not West?!? If he was facing West, he'd get the most Overwatch shots off, best way to "guard" that kind of room

To diagram the strategy, if the marine is facing south, he has LOS to the X squares:

5OOO5
5OOOM
5OOX5
55X55
55O55
55O55

But if he was facing East, he has LOS to the following squares:

5XXX5
5XXXM
5XXX5
55X55
55O55
55O55

If a GS moved into the room and moved straight towards the marine in the back, the marine on the side would only get 1 Overwatch shot off if he's facing South. If he's facing East, he'd get 3 shots, and even a 4th after the close assault combat.

-shnar

Edit: They mucked up my blank scrabble piece!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
First off, the GS cannot close assault the marine in the doorway, you can only close assault a figure directly in front of you (i.e. no diagonals). Look at page 14 of the rulebook, has a pretty picture even.

But, suspending rules or let's say you have a houserule that allows diagonal close assault attacks, the Overwatch fire happens after the action takes place, so the GS attacks the marine. The marine in the middle of the room see this attack and definitely fires his gun. This happens after the Close Assault is finished, so the other marine may already be dead, but the GS is going to pay for it!

-shnar

Arghh. Thanks for the Close Assault correction. I have only actually played the game 3 times in the year that I've owned it, but have spent countless hours reading the rules and "practicing" solo to try and get the rules down. So after all this time, I think I understand the more complex rules and gray areas, but have got some of the obvious rules wrong as you pointed out.

The facing of the marine in the side hallway is not actually wrong. He was headed out of that room trying to go east down the corridor, but with the placement of that genestealer, he decided to assist the other Space Marine in the room, so he spent 1 AP getting out of the room and his last 3 AP by turning south and going on Overwatch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, it's not technically wrong, it's just not very good strategy

The rules for this game aren't that complex, so you should be able to get them all down after a few games. Have fun killing stealers!

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.