Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Era of Inventions yesterday. (Pro: it had a nice theme, a somewhat Caylush-ish gameplay; con: bad marker colors & even some artwork not really functional - expecially the "cube change" at the marketplace can't be seen.)
We just couldn't decide if we didn't like the game enough or we played something wrong. We saw there were lots of big product cubes, big cogs in the game - and we could not imagine when you could get them. Also the airplane - hey, people weren't even really buying the level 2 inventions as they were rather expensive with 4 (5?) cubes needed. Some of these later inventions didn't even appear in the game (let's say I bough one in the 5th round - and after mixing it didn't even appear), others did but everyone went for the cheaper cards instead because we were so short of cubes. I just have no idea how we could have produced so many goods and/or cogs that
a, the big ones would have been needed
b, the big cards would have sold well.
With 16 full actions (and 5 extra '1' actions) in the game and quite a direct competition for the action spaces, these seemed rather impossible.
Any idea what we may have played wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
the big cubes are simply worth 3, so even in the initial setup you need them (ina 5p) and definitely once you go shopping (you did realize that you get all resources from a ship/warehouse for 1 euro and not just one cube?).
But other than that there is no added significance.
As for the inventions, the plane and car were gone rather swiftly in our last game and in the middle of the game all inventions were made, so not really sure where you guys went wrong.
You can even invent in the firt round, since you sart with markers already and once you got your production set up you should be able to get them relatively easily.
so while im still not sure whether i like the game all thar much, those 2 problems never occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
(you did realize that you get all resources from a ship/warehouse for 1 euro and not just one cube?).

This part of the rules was the most debated one. There was no example in the rules and they seemed to be a bit different from the one I can find here at BGG.
E.g. the French rules say
Quote:
Acheter pour 1, 2 ou 3 pièces d’or 1, 2 ou 3 cubes ressource.

which means buy for 1, 2 or 3 gold pieces 1, 2 or 3 resource cubes.
Also it made sense that you buy only 1, 2 or 3 cubes for 1, 2 or 3 gold as in the end of a round the rules say
Quote:
Fill the steam ships and the storage houses. The ships and houses
which have no resources receive 2 resource cubes, with exception of
the storage houses with coal, which receive 3 cubes. All ships and
storage houses with resources still remaining are refilled with 1
extra cube per ship/house.

So it seemed there can be some cubes left on spaces which means you don't take all the cubes from a space...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:

This part of the rules was the most debated one. There was no example in the rules and they seemed to be a bit different from the one I can find here at BGG.
E.g. the French rules say
Quote:
Acheter pour 1, 2 ou 3 pièces d’or 1, 2 ou 3 cubes ressource.

which means buy for 1, 2 or 3 gold pieces 1, 2 or 3 resource cubes.
Also it made sense that you buy only 1, 2 or 3 cubes for 1, 2 or 3 gold as in the end of a round the rules say
Quote:
Fill the steam ships and the storage houses. The ships and houses
which have no resources receive 2 resource cubes, with exception of
the storage houses with coal, which receive 3 cubes. All ships and
storage houses with resources still remaining are refilled with 1
extra cube per ship/house.

So it seemed there can be some cubes left on spaces which means you don't take all the cubes from a space...

I am sorry to say you are wrong, (well at least as I got the game presented twice on Essen and also read the rules you are wrong.)

Each player can buy up to three types of resouces for 1 gold each. But only two players can buy resources so there will be resources left so they are the once that gets 1 extra cube.

As for the airplane, it of course will get sold when this is played correctly, and it also can be rather important to get the five bonus points for most inventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking also the explanation video it clearly seems we played wrong
But now checking the rules about the bonus action rules, I'm still not sure what you mean by this:
Quote:
But only two players can buy resources so there will be resources left so they are the once that gets 1 extra cube.

1 extra cube?
According to the rules, a possible bonus action is
Quote:
Pay 1 gold coin to buy the resources of 1 ship or storage house

So I still don't really get the last sentence of the 3. point of the Preparations for the new game round chapter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have been unclear.

If 2 players buys resources

they can buy from a total of 6 houses leaving two houses left, if no-one uses the extra action token to buy resources then the two houses that are left gets one extra cube and the others are filled to there starting setup.

If a player uses an extra action then they can buy all the resources of one of the left houses, so indeed you may empty all houses. I never seen that happend though (it would mean two players useing an extra action in the same game round to buy resources, which in my games would have been stupid as the resources left often was unintresting)

(I guess somebody that was involved more with the game can explain it better.)

Did this clearify things a bit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it seems to have cleared it all for me. So I have to play it again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(In our defense, the wording doesn't seem totally clear for me though. Why not write "purchase all the resources..." at the action area description, and why is it written at the preparations that "houses with resources still remaining are refilled with 1 extra cube" - suggesting they are "not full" - instead of adding one extra cube?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.