Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: First play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I am getting Here I Stand today and hope to play it in the near future. I would like some advice on how I should go about the first game. My game group can get very cold on games for a number of different reasons the most important of which is game time. That being said they have been happy to play through a four hour game of Through the Ages on multiple occasions.

I guess what I am trying to say is: What would be a good way to get this game rolling quickly and finishing in a decent amount of time? I understand it's supposed to be a six hour game but I worry that it will end up an 8-10 hour game that will simply not finish.

Thanks for any help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Allot the powers beforehand and instruct the players to focus on the part of the rules pertaining to them (France and the Turk needn't worry about religion, Luther can go a long way without knowing anything about moving troops, etc.). As game owner you of course have a moral obligation to know all the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem I have found with keeping the game moving is people talking about non game related things. If you let that go, it will add hours to the game. I played a 14 hour game of HiS once with new players who thought about their turns a lot when it was their turn and talked about history when it was not their turn. My impression was that no one in that group wanted to play again. But we did have fun. You should try to keep everyone engaged and let them know that if they trail off, the game will take longer. If you can play a shorter scenario, that might help. Also breaking up the game over two days could allow folks to leave the game and refresh on rules they found confusing and look up strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, try the tournament scenario. It's only turns 4-6 with a few other set-up changes. Three turns can hopefully shorten the game to a reasonable chunk. It also allows Prots to be militarily active right away and the Otts to pirate right away.

Once you've given that a try then go the regular scenario to try a full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just received my copy of Here I Stand. This may sound crazy to some,but I am going to solo the game for my first time. Here I Stand seems like such a heavy game that, if introduced poorly, would permanently intimidate my group from ever playing again. Playing it solo, to get a proper handle on the rules, you can take your time to properly check the rules and BGG when you need to. Also, you can safely break the game up into smaller time portions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Based solely on 2-3 2p attempts, I can't imagine this playing in 6 hours with a larger complement of players their first time through.

It took us like 4 or 5 hours to get even close to finishing just the 2 of us, with me playing moderator to attempt to follow the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Al Williams
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things to realize.

One, the first play of any game is usually the longest.

Second, with a well prepared group of people willing to commit the time our first play still went over 10 hours.

Third, that time is mitigated by the fact that this is straight out the best game I have ever played. That sentiment continues to be echoed by a number of members of my regular gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.