Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough posts again.
If we assume we'll move 1-2 times a round (obviously adjusting to dice and SP), what plans have people tried. Like starting I'm going to activate the elves and muster them, or gondor, or move gondor out from Oligarth and south from Perigarth (sp). Or consolidate rohan at helms deep. I know you need to adjust for cards, but do people as FP adjust their strategy to cards, or have a strategy and use what cards work within it. Or, do you just save the big stronghold holding cards (first round of a stronghold attack the SP I found uses their best card, so that's the time to counter or use a nice card like the SP rolls 2 or 3 dice)
Tonight I play a fairly aggressive opponent who sticks with sauraman, sauron and going for rohan and gondor, getting the rest either with the Dew line or one of the middle elf settlements (usually later in the game) .
What would you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob marley

Unspecified
msg tools
Re:Enought about the SP, what plans do you use as the FP
kruhland (#455926),

One of my strats is to just delay the SP enough for the Fellowship to make it. Simply put, if you have an over agressive SP then all you need to do is delay one of their seiges by two or three turns (or each of the several sieges by one turn) and if you manage the fellowship well you'll win the game.

There are 8 vp's in Gondor and Rohan right? 2 for Minas Tirith, 2 for Dol Amroth, 1 for Pelagir and then 2 for Helms Deep, 1 for Edoras.

So, if the SP goes for these eight then all you have to do is delay delay delay. No need for offense at all (unless of course mordor is empty and you can waltz in for the win). Any victory the delays the SP by even just a turn can make a huge difference.

Sometimes I just forget all about Gondor and Rohan and work on protecting Lorien or the so-called DEW line. If you can muster enough armies there you can hold the SP to 8 or 9 points while Frodo & Sam run their bestest to toss the ring.

Anyhow, that's my strategy for a super aggressive SP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scilaci (#456158),
I would agree with Craig, but let me add a thing or three...

First, the fellowship must SPRINT toward Mordor until Gandalf dies. EVERY charactor and WOW die should be used to move (or hide) the fellowship.

Once Gandalf dies, the next charactor die I use to get Aragorn and Boromir on their way to MT. Dont want Aragon dying as the guide, and he needs to be King for the extra die. Boromir is excellent for helping MT live a bit longer. Keep spending charactor dice on them till Boromir is in MT, and Aragon is in (the now empty) Pelegir and declares himself king. Dont get Aragorn caught up in MT and dying. Clear Pelagir so he can be king with no fear of ddying. If Pelegir has been taken, move Aragorn to Dol Amroth and crown him there.

The next WOW brings back Gandalf (assuming this is possible). All other Charactor and WOW dice are still moving/hiding the fellowship as fast as possible to Lorien.

Heal up in Lorien, then move on to Mordor. Collect those healing cards and dont spend them till you have left Lorien. I like to keep the fellowship together at this point, move fast, and kill off Legolas (I hate elves), Gimli (valiant Dwarf), and the hobbit twins as necessary. Once they are all dead, you will have to slow the fellowship a bit, but not too much...

Forget defense. IF you get army/muster dice (and you will), move the guys near MT into MT, and/or push Gondor and Rohan toward war. Look for reinforcement cards for MT, Helms Deep, and Dol Amroth, but DONT PLAY THEM. Wait for the strongholds to be under siege THEN spring the reinforcements on your opponent. This works particularly well in MT where you have more the 5 guys to begin with. Take your lumps, then muster a leader and elite right into the siege. You are getting stronger when you opponent is getting weaker, and his reinforcements are several dice away in Mordor.

If you oppontent is really going for Gondor/Rohan, by the time he gets through all the defenses, then re-orgainzes his army for a march or Lorien or DEW, the fellowship should have had plenty of time to get to the crack of doom.

Let me say, this all pre-supposes the SP is going for Gondor/Rohan. As the SP player, I rarely find this the best course of action unless I get some really great cards early (Grond, Denethor's Folly, and the Corsairs for example...)

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FP strategy
kruhland (#455926),

Don't know if it will help, but Fantasy Flight just posted a FP strategy on their website. There is a link on their homepage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:FP strategy
Could you post a link to the article?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bpowers (#456326),

The problem I have with saving the reinforcement cards is I end up discarding cards, having more then 6 in my hand. I always draw the army cards when I can (like Gandolfs ability) for the reinforcements, at the end game character cards. How do you avoid choking on cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
bpowers (#456326),
The problems with holding out on muster cards include choking your hand with cards (as stated above) and the possibility that you won't survive the siege in order to play the cards. As the SP, I will certainly try to include 2-3 elites in my army so that I can extend the battle and wipe out your pathetic force of 3 units using one army die. And don't forget cards like Grond. I will always play the reinforcement cards asap if the stronghold is threatened and has less than 5 units in it. It's a good use of a muster or event die in my opinion.

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kruhland (#456725),

Always always always draw character cards, especially as FP. THey are a lot better than strategy cards.

FP character cards include several corruption healers, the ent cards, Dead Men of Dunharrow, Mithril Coat and Sting, and Challenge of the King.

Shadow Character cards include Cruel Weather, Nazgul Search, the red tiles, the cards that let you draw extra tiles, Grond, and Palantir.

Only as the Shadow, in the first few turns, should you draw strategy cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits (#456958),
But the FP strategy cards are the only ones with reinforcements, a way to get more troops in the strongholds when the nations aren't at war. I found I choke on cards if I take the character cards, because in the beginning, you can't play all of them, like the Ent cards until you have Gandolf the White or attached in Rohan, or the character cards that depend on a character being in the battle and the SP is still moving their armies. I know the tile cards are important, but I hate getting them early in the game when I want troops. But the fellowship protection cards are nice, but again, you're holding them until they're used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kruhland (#456988),

If the Shadow is hunting aggressively, those cards won't go unused long. Those cards which allow the FP to deal with Hunt damage are like gold. You don't have to slow down to heal corruption, just sprint to Mordor. After that the SP won't have time for a military victory.

That's how I lost the last game as the Shadow. I counted 14 hunt damage dealt out, but the FP entered Mordor with only 1 corruption after declaring/healing only once. I think SevenSpirits is right, don't ever underestimate those particular cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Xookliba (#458588),
What? In my humble opinion Horn of Gondor and Axe and Bow are lame. I'd only play them with unused Palantir die results. Playing them with character die results is the following raw deal: slow down the fellowship by 1 to heal 1 corruption (plus whatever corruption a successful hunt might have dealt).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely (#458719),
Yes, of course you play them with palantir dice. However, they are "play on the table" cards, you can play them at any time of your choosing. If you have palantir dice and no real pressing plans for them, these cards are a great play. It's not a waste, every point of corruption you don't have to deal with is a point you don't have to stop to heal from before you enter Mordor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The SP has the initiative at the start of the game, so in most cases you are trying to counteract what the SP is doing.

If the SP isn't hunting, then use an elven die to move the FSP as much as possible.

If the SP is hunting with 2-3 dice, then still move once but also concentrate on maybe getting GW or A dice into play.

Overall try and be a nuisance with your troops. When Mordor is moving toward MT, possibly move all troops to Osgilith (depending on the good combat cards you might have). You might be able to soften up that first attack and retreat to MT.

If you draw the Carrock muster card early, use it and then an army move in the future could put that force in the Old Forest and Dwarf into the stronghold to strenghten the DEW line.

Remember you can not stop all the SP stronghold attacks, so don't try. You have to feel the flow of the game and pick and choose your spots to defend. If you defend too early at a location, using dice that could have been used elswhere, the SP will just go a different direction and not bother attacking your bigger armies.

Don't fear using your elven rings to squeak another move out of a turn. Unless there are 4+ eyes hunting, you have to move that FSP every turn it isn't stopping to heal.

If Rohan is attacked, I've seen it work where you keep mustering a Rohan army. With some of the cards available, that army could find itself on Mordor's doorstep for a surprise shot at a 4pt FP victory. Just make sure you have a large enough army and plan the dice play late after letting the SP use all their extra dice so they have less the counter the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.