Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys, I'm going to be travelling a bit in the next few weeks, mainly US Air, and wonder if I need to have an adaptor for my laptop to use it on the plane (and what kind) or does it plug right into the armrest socket. And does this kind of thing vary from plane to plane? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will not typically find a power jack for your notebook unless you are travelling business class or first class.

In the case where you are travelling in business or first class, you will need an auto/air adapter. They are typically $70-120.

Additionally, some large screen, high powered laptops require 90W, 130W or even 210W adapters. The air adapters usually provide only 65W or, rarely 90W. Depending on your make and model of notebook, it may or may not work on the lower power supplied by the air adapter.

When I fly, its always coach. I usually just pack an extra (charged) battery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, I hope your laptop is okay with being groped by TSA agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David brought up all the major points (with the wattage one very important and usually overlooked).

If you have a recent MacBook (Pro/Air) w/ MagSafe though, Apple sells a MagSafe Airline Adapter (MB441Z/A) for $49. It connects to EmPower and 20mm power ports, and while it looks like it might work in a car *it does NOT* so don't try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, David is right. I used to have a job where I would travel a lot, so I bought an extra batter for my laptop. Two batteries would last me 5 or 6 hours each, enough for even an international flight.

I know that there are computer power outlets on some airlines, but you need to buy the adapter, plus you can never tell in advance whether your flight will have the outlets or not. In the end the extra battery is easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I'l look into getting a spare battery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.