Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Howe
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report Elliscon

On November 13th 2010 My son Benjamin and, I attended our first Elliscon XXII held at Harvard H. Ellis Technical H.S., Danielson CT. We played two games. The first one was Operation Bagration run by Vic Gregoire. The second was a special ops. game run by a young man who's is the President of the H.H. Ellis Tech, Simulation Club. His name is Zac G. as listed in the flyer.

Operation Bagration otherwise known as the destruction of Army Group Center was a massive battle that occurred on the Eastern Front in World War II at about the same time as the Allies launched their D-Day assault in Normandy. Our battle represented a small three to five KM. area of this massive battle. The rule system used was Command Decision. ( A miniatures rules system that emphasizes command and, control at company and, battalion level.) Vic Gregoire's miniatures and, terrain were superb! His knowledge of the battle and, background of the history was excellent. The combination of those two plus a home made playing aid made the experience most enjoyable.
The map was set on a table 6' X 16'. The opposing forces were to set up on the long sides of the table. The middle of the table was basically clear. On each sides deployment area there were stands of trees and marsh type terrain only passable by wheeled vehicles via makeshift wooden bridges. On the German side there was a river that dominated a large part of the front ( about 1/2 ) with a large stone bridge. Each side set up one unit at a time until all forces were deployed. The general objectives was for the Russians to punch through the German defenses. The Germans were to stop the Russians from punching through.

My son and, I chose to play the Germans along with two other players. The four of us were to command of a small but, highly trained unit to fend off the huge poorly trained Russian Juggernaught. For my part I elected to take command of a battery of 75MM Pak AT guns and, two companies of veteran infantry reinforced by combat engineers. Each side chose a commanding officer. I had suggested to the players on my side that my unit should take a central defensive position by the bridge. My C.O. said that he wanted my forces to defend the two stands of trees in the southern portion of the map. This deployment would prove fatal for the Germans later in the game. My son Benjamin was in command of a company of Stug IIIs and, a company of Stuh 42s. He was deployed just North of the bridge. To his South was a mixed group of infantry, tanks, infantry guns, AA guns and, command elements for our side. To the north of Benjamin’s armor was the cream of the crop. A company of Elite Tiger Is. The Russian's deployed their heavy ( JS Is and, IIs ) armor to go against our Tiger Is. Against the middle they deployed several companies of T34s, Artillery, infantry and, AA guns. To the South ( to face me ) They deployed a token force of recon cars and, captured German equipment.

The battle opened with a serious Russian artillery bombardment. This bombardment managed to knock out several AT guns and, tanks over several turns. Both sides brought on air power. The German's out numbered ME 109s were forced to withdraw. Even though the German AA fire was thick the Russian's still managed to drive home their air attack. On the South side of the map All Russian forces were defeated but, this did not matter because it was not their intended target. On the North side of the map the Tigers ( minus one due to artillery ) held off the Joseph Stalin Tanks several times. In the middle there was extreme pressure on the forces defending the bridge. Benjamin's forces suffered over 50% casualties. The Russians had forces on the bridge when the Germans blew it sky high. This did not matter to the Russians because they had many more troops to replace the loses. The JS IIs regrouped and drove the Tiger's off and the Russians committed their reserves to exploit the weakened German middle. The German Southern front could not redeploy to reinforce the weakened middle or, the collapsed Northern Front. The end result was a Russian Victory.

Vic told us that in the real war the section of front that we played the Germans did well. The Germans overall lost the battle. Most historians say that this was the beginning of the end. The Germans lost the equivalent of about twenty divisions and, a dozen high ranking officers. This offensive also cut Army Group North off in the process.
The Special Ops. game was a lot of fun too. I hope to write about that sometime in the future. It will run at Havoc XXVII I was told. I hope to see you there.

Ken Howe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave vicks
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Kenneth,

Can Command Decision II be used for 6mm 1:1 scale?

Your AAR sounded great.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Howe
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi , Thanks for the compliment. I am not sure about the scale question but, I am leaning toward yes.

Yours,
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.