18 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » General

Subject: Zombie balance thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having only 1 zombie player seems to be a major disadvantage due to only being able to discard 1 card from your hand a turn, as well as having to spread out any zombie spawns over all of the spawn pits, instead of being able to double up at spawning pits when there are two players. Does anyone one break either of those rules as house rule variants?

Zombie Autospawn dots:
Seem really high at 4, the heroes could start with 4 additional hero cards per hero to match it, which seems much better. With cards like 'My God they've taken the...' and other zombie spawn cards, I rarely am able to spawn more than 3 zombies at a time after the first few turns, and the autospawn seems to break them up into small easy to handle waves, as opposed to larger more strategic waves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tucker
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Greetings!
badge
Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
The zombie players can discard as many cards as they want per turn, then draw back up to their hand limit. If there is 1 zombie player, the hand limit is four. With 2 zombie players, the hand limit is 2 cards.

Not sure about your dots question. I haven't played with that mechanic yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASFx wrote:
The zombie players can discard as many cards as they want per turn, then draw back up to their hand limit. If there is 1 zombie player, the hand limit is four. With 2 zombie players, the hand limit is 2 cards.

I don't know where you got that idea.

2) Draw New Zombie Cards wrote:
Before drawing up, each Zombie player may discard up to one card from their hand if they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tucker
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Greetings!
badge
Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it from "At the beginning of each Zombie Turn, the Zombie player(s) draw up new zombie cards until they have a full hand"

The line you quoted is more specific though. Must have missed it somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just occured to me that the autospawn also hurts cards like 'they've taken the..' because while the building is still taken over, odds are you're not getting a building full of zombies, but just 1-2 unless the heros have gone on a murder frenzy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Just occured to me that the autospawn also hurts cards like 'they've taken the..' because while the building is still taken over, odds are you're not getting a building full of zombies, but just 1-2 unless the heros have gone on a murder frenzy.

As a zombie player, an empty zombie pool is a problem I like to have.

Just consider it over-compensating for the issue cards like that are designed to address.

A card is a card, some are good, some are not-so-situationally useful. That card is equally "hurt" if you've emptied you zombie pool by any other means (which presumedly also carried some sort of opportunity cost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASFx wrote:
I got it from "At the beginning of each Zombie Turn, the Zombie player(s) draw up new zombie cards until they have a full hand"

The line you quoted is more specific though. Must have missed it somewhere.

The line he quoted is right from the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maxx_Pointy wrote:

I agree with that, I just don't know that it's 4 dots good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Maxx_Pointy wrote:

I don't have enough plays under my belt to speak on that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Slayer
msg tools
squegeeboo wrote:
Maxx_Pointy wrote:

Get SotF expansion and effectively have 16 extra "zombies" to spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Phillips
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
One does not simply surf into Mordor!
mbmbmbmbmb
ASFx wrote:

Not sure about your dots question. I haven't played with that mechanic yet.

What the rules additionally/actually state is "Before drawing up, each player may discard up to one card from their hand if they wish". I would interpret this as the ability to discard one each if there are two zombie players and up to two if there is only one. (From page 9 in the LNOE rulebook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've rarely had a problem with cycling cards (there are a lot of cards you can play for little/no effect if you really want to get rid of them, even if it means throwing a zombie into a fight it has no chance of winning), but I don't see why this can't be houseruled to 2 cards a turn if it feels that unbalanced. Great thing about boardgames is that they're modded as easy as thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
angler wrote:

What the rules additionally/actually state is "Before drawing up, each player may discard up to one card from their hand if they wish". I would interpret this as the ability to discard one each if there are two zombie players and up to two if there is only one. (From page 9 in the LNOE rulebook)

If each player can discard up to 1, then if there is only 1 zombie player, they can only discard 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dankirk
msg tools
Just to weigh in:

The advantage to being a solo zombie player is that you get to focus all of your cards on yourself. (none of the only "your" zombie issues, they are all your zombies now).

This makes an enormous difference with cards like growing hunger (which lets you play multiple fight cards, which you are more likely to have with the larger hand size). As well as some of the mass movement cards.

In SotF, one of the new dot rules is the ability to discard additional cards per turn as the Zombie Heroes.

That being said, I have yet to see any need to upgrade the lethality of zombie players any further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there any actual 'your' zombie cards? The only cards for zombie players that I've found that can't be played on either players zombies are spawning cards, where you can only draw from 'your' spawn pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Are there any actual 'your' zombie cards? The only cards for zombie players that I've found that can't be played on either players zombies are spawning cards, where you can only draw from 'your' spawn pool.

There are a few. I listed them in another thread, but you have the gist of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Denton21 wrote:
( which you are more likely to have with the larger hand size)

Larger hand size? The Zombies have 4 cards total. If there are two players, they each get 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dankirk
msg tools
Larger hand size: you are more likely to have multiple fight cards in your hand if you hold four cards in your hand as opposed to two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.