Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
In keeping with the spirit of this GeeklistMade THE promise to my wife ... now I better start playing!, I broke out Flight of Giants out for a solitaire game using one of the scenarios from the rule book, Stop Them!

I put the two Staaken R IV s in place then choose to use three Spad XIIIs. As I was setting up I was thinking it was going to be tough for the allies to take down one, let alone both of the bombers, but I Figured it would be fun trying.

I started with three Spads (Fonck, Baracca, Rickenbacker) side by side. After one turn I thought they might have an advantage since one of the bombers turned, I was thinking I might be able to team up on one then come back at the second, I was mistaken.

I decided not to play around and went right at the bomber coming straight on. It might have been a good plan, if I hadn’t misjudged my approach speed and the turn angle. I went from being outside of range to being too close all around. I guess I should be happy the bomber couldn’t shoot either.

The next turn I split my planes up and in doing so I moved Baracca to a position where he never caught back up with the battle. About this point I realized the bomber farther away from my Spads was heading to the side of the playing surface and was most likely going to escape. This was not looking good.

I finally got Fonck into postion to exchange shots with the one bomber I had a chance of catching. I drew one A Damage card against the bomber and I got a … ZERO. The Straaken pulls two B cards (1 per gun) and got Zero and Two. It was about now that I started to think that a good title for this session report would be: “The Bomber Always Gets Through.”

A few more maneuvers and Rickerbacker had a shot at the Straaken (just as the second Straaken escaped off the board). Two damage cards drawn and wouldn’t you know it, Rickenbacker's gun is jammed. Of course it wasn't all bad, one of the Straakens guns had jammed also.

By this point I had one Spad close to the Straaken that could shoot and that bomber was getting close to the edge. I figured I was going to lose this game and lose it badly but I am a fan of never giving up so when Fonck got in position for a double shot I took it.

Although it was almost an overlap (and no shot) there was about a millimeter of green between the two planes, enough for the shot and low and behold the explosion card makes an appearance. For the first time the explosion card helped me. Maybe making an example of the last explosion card that destroyed one of my planes had an effect.

Final score was Allies 16 points, an allied win. The specifics were + 30 points for shooting down a bomber, - 5 points for an bomber escaping (with no damage at all), - 9 points for damage to Fonck for the 16 point total.
With or without the surprise ending it was a good game and I had fun, but it is nicer to have fun and win as opposed to have fun and lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I thought the rule on overlaps was only that the overlapping planes couldn't shoot each other, not that they couldn't shoot at all. Have I been playing wrongly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
Nice report. I thought the rule on overlaps was only that the overlapping planes couldn't shoot each other, not that they couldn't shoot at all. Have I been playing wrongly?

That's my understanding too. The fighter almost overlapped the bomber it wanted to shoot at. If it had it would not have been able to shoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.