Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: See Bruno's final answer below! I would say - Goodley clarified

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for creating a new Goodley thread once again, but I read really all entries related to Goodley's special ability and I am still confused - even the FAQ did not make it clear for me. I even tried the only game...

So, my issue:
Of course, when moving a character with Goodley's ability, the moved character has to be closer to Goodley after the movement than he was before.
Let's say I use Goodley's ability to move Gull. There are of course several paths from Gull to Goodley, one maybe 5 spaces distance, one 4 spaces distance. This leads to:
a) The shortest path counts, meaning you can move Gull the "long" way e.g. 2 spaces, finishing at the distance of 3
b) You can also move him only one space on the shorter way.
c) You cannot move him only one space on the longer way, because he would then be in 4 spaces distance, like he way before (considering the shorter path)

I think this is quite clear, and implemented this way in the online game. This also implies that not EACH step has to lead closer to Goodley, but only the end space has to be closer (like the FAQ states).

But the following questions are unclear for me:
1) Again, let's say Gull is 5 spaces away: Can I move Gull 2 spaces towards Goodley and then 1 space back (to the hex I came from), finishing in the distance of 4 spaces? (The FAQ says I cannot move forward, back, and again forward, but what about the situation I described?
2) Another case - I move Gull (distance 5 spaces) 2 spaces: first step closer to Goodley, distance 4. Second step "to the side", keeping the distance of 4. Is this ok? I think so, the online game seems to allow it, as well as the FAQ
3) The most critical issue- I move Gull (distance 5 spaces) 3 spaces: First step towards Goodley (distance 4), second step sideways (distance 4), third step towards Goodley (distance 3). I could have also accimplished this in 2 steps, but actually used 3 steps. Now: the FAQ seems to say that this is ok, but I think you cannot do such a move in the online game, because the game always chooses the shortest path for the characters (you only select the end space). What do you think?

If you read until here: Thanks in advance for your help!! Something official would be cool... I hope to find a sentence that gives an unambigous ruling in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hopefully last question regarding Goodley's special ability
mavo wrote:
Ok, now, I tried to sort my boxes using this information, and now there's really only one last issue left: Does anyone know how many weapon and arm sprues there have to be in the box?

Copy and paste error...?

Quote:
1) Again, let's say Gull is 5 spaces away: Can I move Gull 2 spaces towards Goodley and then 1 space back (to the hex I came from), finishing in the distance of 4 spaces? (The FAQ says I cannot move forward, back, and again forward

Does it? I'm only seeing that a piece "cannot end its movement on the same hex from which it started", but is there a statement that you can't reenter some later hex entered during the movement? Am I overlooking something?

Quote:
2) Another case - I move Gull (distance 5 spaces) 2 spaces: first step closer to Goodley, distance 4. Second step "to the side", keeping the distance of 4. Is this ok? I think so, the online game seems to allow it, as well as the FAQ

Given that the documentation and the program agree, it seems safe to assume this one is OK...

Quote:
3) The most critical issue- I move Gull (distance 5 spaces) 3 spaces: First step towards Goodley (distance 4), second step sideways (distance 4), third step towards Goodley (distance 3). I could have also accimplished this in 2 steps, but actually used 3 steps. Now: the FAQ seems to say that this is ok, but I think you cannot do such a move in the online game, because the game always chooses the shortest path for the characters (you only select the end space). What do you think?

I think 2 things:

* The program disagrees with the documentation ("you then get 3 movement points to use as you see fit ... in order to bring them closer to Sergeant Goodley" which is defined in the FAQ to mean "end their movement on a hex closer to Goodley". I see nothing to require you to take the shortest path to the end hex. Probably it computes the path for you as an intended simplifying convenience in the user interface, and they didn't think about someone intentionally taking a longer path.

* Good spotting; you should be a tester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the copy&paste error - removed it! :-)

Regarding the FAQ: I'm referring to the FAQ here on the geek, not the (small) FAQ done by Hurrican Games: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/194998/updated-faq-for-base-....

Regarding 1), it's the last sentence:
Quote:
Also keep in mind that, when using Goodley's special ability, a character cannot be kept at the same distance with the first movement point, then moved back to its initial hex, and then moved closer to Goodley.

Regarding 2), I think we are ok.

Regarding 3) Many people refer to the online game as THE reference - so an official word on that topic that has been discussed so often (meaning Goodley's ability) would be welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Regarding the FAQ: I'm referring to the FAQ here on the geek, not the (small) FAQ done by Hurrican Games: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/194998/updated-faq-for-base-....

Aha, cool, thanks for that link. I see the last sentence there is "Also keep in mind that, when using Goodley's special ability, a character cannot be kept at the same distance with the first movement point, then moved back to its initial hex, and then moved closer to Goodley." This sounds like a specific restriction that's intended as a general statement that indeed you must take the shortest possible path to the end hex.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1726661#1726661 also explicitly asks for official clarification on that point, but I see none in that thread either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I also read the thread you mentioned, but there's no useful clarification in there (for me, at least).

Maybe I should contact Bruno? Or can someone else help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sent a mail to the designer - let's see if he can help us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Esch
Germany
Bielefeld
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll copy here what I've written in another thread:

A legal whistle move is one in which the character ends up closer to Goodley than he was before.
That's the rule.

So you must
1. calculate the shortest distance from the characters's starting hex to Goodley's location ("start distance")
2. calculate the shortest distance from the character's destination hex to Goodley's location ("end distance")

If
end distance < start distance
then it is a valid move (the character is "closer to Goodly" now) -
provided that he could move so many steps:

To count them, you must calculate the shortest path from the character's start to his destination space.

So, only the starting and the ending hex are important!

Additionally keep the following in mind:
The character called by Goodley must not cross Goodley's space,
only "normal" movement is allowed (no sewers, Stealthy cannot use her special ability, and so on).

This is the "official" rule, and the online game is implemented this way.

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody

just some words to confirm stefan's answer:
we have worked close together and the way the online game is implemented is definitively the official rule !

have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.