Dust Tactics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Line of Sight Question Concerning Opposite Corners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lee

Fresno
California
msg tools
Opposite Corners: "when your unit is behind a corner, the corner blocks line of sight if your target is behind an opposite corner"

Does this rule hold true if the opposite corner isn't terrain, but rather a tank, or a squad, a hero, ammo crate, tank trap?

Last question: Do Heroes block line of sight for squads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C.
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first question I would say it depends on the attacker and the defender. Page 10 of the rules should answer your question. Squads block LOS to other squads, but not to tanks etc.

As for the second question, I couldn't find anything that answers the question. I'd assume they would block LOS for squads to other squads or heroes, since you wouldn't want your squad (thematically) shooting your hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Zamfirescu
msg tools
Hi Kenneth,

short answer:
- tank: Yes
- squad: Yes if it's a squad firing, no if it's a vehicle (infantry don't block vehicle LOS)
- hero: same as squad
- ammo crate: No. Ammo crates never block LOS.
- tank traps: Yes for squads, No for vehicle. Hope this helps

And for the last question: Yes. Of course soldiers can see "around" the Hero, but they wouldn't try to shoot... You don't shoot your own heroes in the back

Hope this helps,

Olivier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Olivier Zamfirescu wrote:
And for the last question: Yes. Of course soldiers can see "around" the Hero, but they wouldn't try to shoot... You don't shoot your own heroes in the back

Well, and what if it were an enemy hero blocking the shot, and for some reason the attacker didn't want to shoot it, but the squad behind him? I'm sure they would have no qualms about accidentally hitting the enemy hero in the crossfire.

Oh well, I guess some silly stuff like that is bound to happen when one tries to make quite simple rules for such a complex thing like battlefield warfare....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules only mention squads blocking line of sight, so you can fire through a lone hero, I guess he goes to ground when hot lead is flying past him

@Loophole. You do not and cannot make up rules to cover every possible circumstance in any wargame especially when the event is highly unlikely to occur, it just pads out a rulebook with rubbish. I've played tons of games so far and not once has any hero been in the way of a possible shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
The rules only mention squads blocking line of sight, so you can fire through a lone hero

But Olivier Zamfirescu, who I understand is a designer for the game, just said that heroes block LOS for other infantry. If a lone hero didn't block LOS, why would the last remaining survivor of a squad block LOS?

Major Mishap wrote:
@Loophole. You do not and cannot make up rules to cover every possible circumstance in any wargame especially when the event is highly unlikely to occur, it just pads out a rulebook with rubbish.

I understand that, which is why I try to look for these loopholes in the rules and ask for the forum's opinions, so if such a situation comes up in my game, I already have a final ruling in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 10 it gives a nice breakdown of what blocks line of sight, there is no mention of heroes blocking line of sight, therefore either Oliver is incorrect or the rules are incorrectly written. Logically 1 man could not block LOS of 2 units shooting at each other. If logic and the written rule show the same answer then surely they must be correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By your logic, the rules say that a squad blocks LOS, but if there's only one remaining survivor it's still a squad, so why would that 1-man squad block LOS while a hero would not? The rules are simple, therefore they don't cover every possibility, and sometimes situations arise that don't make a lot of logical sense, but need to be taken care of with broad rules.

The rules never mention heroes blocking LOS one way or the other, however the designer himself has posted that they do, so that's good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.