tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, nearly all FPS-like tactics board games are sci-fi/fantasy. Space Hulk, Dust Tactics

Tannhäuser? Never played, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 is within the theme, and might get him interested in a different side of the genre. He will need someone to play with, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a pretty simple FPS-inspired system available on here under the name of Battle Royale, now called Limited Life-Span Theatre. I haven't played it, but the rules seem straightforward and the investment can be pretty minimal (ie, zero!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer General: Allied Assault is based on an XBOX game I believe. It is card based, and I do not know how much it resembles a first-person-shooter, but the theme should appeal to you and the games certainly looks cool. Not that expensive either.

Spearpoint 1943 also loks cool, and is available pretty cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Someone mentioned Spacehulk, but dismissed it due to fantasy type of setting. I would say it would fit more in the Halo, humans vs. Aliens mold than Might and Magic. That may be a hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halo Interactive Strategy Game is simplified, but usable. Frag would be a better choice at this time as noted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 has an apocalyptic theme, and is more of a tactical game than strategic. It may do the trick, and it's a great game too.

Another possibility, from a completely different angle would be Ca$h 'n Gun$. It's a gangster theme game, and actually comes with foam pistols. Fun game too, but best played with 4 to 6 players.

Good luck with your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if Battleground interests you, perhaps you'd like to take a look at Battleground which is the same system with historical units. Arcane Legions shares some similarities with Battleground and has minis. I am not sure how the game is doing these days, so it might be an expensive investment. The game still has historical and fantasy elements in it though.

Summoner Wars is probably too fantasy-based for you, but it is cheap and fun. The matches are pretty quick and most commons don't see many turns, so the constant change of the battlefield has a pseudo re-spawning element to it.

Hordes of the Things has released the second edition rules free of charge. It is a generic system, so you can make armies based around any theme you like. I haven't played it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George T
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
Space Hulk without the SciFi? Sounds like Incursion is a good choice too. Think WWII that didn't end with Nazi mad science creating zombies!! Zombies are probably a bonus for 12 year olds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.