Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio Torselli
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we had our first game of Era of Inventions, and we had some doubts.. Most of them are already answered here, but one remains..

The english manual is not good in making this part clear.

It's about the Start Inventions. The ones that are produced goes to the discard pile and eventually (when someone develop a new invention) will be shuffled again and can reappear.

What about the ones that remains on the board? The manual says that you have to remove ALL Starting inventions remaining on the board, but it does not say if they go to the discard pile (and will be shuffled again) or back into the box (these inventions will be discarded from the game and won't reappear on the board).

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks!

Mauricio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
All starting inventions that remain on the board (no matter the slot or the round) are removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
Designer of two games and one expansion
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same problem because in rulebook it says "removed from the game board" shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just read the rules today and got confused with that. At the 1a paragraph, it says "to remove all the start invention cards not produced" while at 1b states "the invention cards at the three right spaces of the upper row must be discarded if they are not produced."

Normally, I'd assume 1a takes precedence when the subject is start invention cards, but then I looked at the illustration whose subtitle says "See paragraphs 1a and 1b". It shows two "S" cards (the bycicle and the lamp) at the bottom row with arrows directing them out of the board (removed from the game) AND it shows the three rightmost cards at the upper row with similar arrows, which I concluded these were the ones to be discarded and eventually reshuffled back in the game. However, one of these three cards is a start invention (the pocket watch), so what actually happens? I may be splitting hairs here, but that illustration is haunting me cool

To complicate things (and I don't how unlikely this will be), lets say no invention gets produced in the first round. At the end of the round, all the seven card spaces containing "S" cards are emptied and thus removing all those start invention cards. In the 2nd round there are only 5 cards left with seven vacant spaces and no further cards to add at the end of the round until someone develops an invention. Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Moulton
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:
I've just read the rules today and got confused with that. At the 1a paragraph, it says "to remove all the start invention cards not produced" while at 1b states "the invention cards at the three right spaces of the upper row must be discarded if they are not produced."

Normally, I'd assume 1a takes precedence when the subject is start invention cards, but then I looked at the illustration whose subtitle says "See paragraphs 1a and 1b". It shows two "S" cards (the bycicle and the lamp) at the bottom row with arrows directing them out of the board (removed from the game) AND it shows the three rightmost cards at the upper row with similar arrows, which I concluded these were the ones to be discarded and eventually reshuffled back in the game. However, one of these three cards is a start invention (the pocket watch), so what actually happens? I may be splitting hairs here, but that illustration is haunting me cool

To complicate things (and I don't how unlikely this will be), lets say no invention gets produced in the first round. At the end of the round, all the seven card spaces containing "S" cards are emptied and thus removing all those start invention cards. In the 2nd round there are only 5 cards left with seven vacant spaces and no further cards to add at the end of the round until someone develops an invention. Is that right?

That's my interpretation of the rules. All start inventions not produced, regardless of what part of the row they are on, are removed from the game.

We played the first game without removing any of the start inventions from the game and the deck was too diluted to get many of the new ones to come out. I suppose if during the first round nobody invents anything than you may not have enough cards for the row, but since everyone starts with a cog, its not hard to invent one of the lower inventions. I played a 3 player the other night with all the rules correct as far as I can tell and it was a very good game. The winner won by 1 point and the 3rd player was within 5. I like this one quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:

You have it correct. Ignore the illustration, you're not supposed to have noticed that it's a pocket watch.

I think it's pretty unlikely, but yes, I'd say if no one made any start inventions, the second round would only have 5 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, to both of you. I will make a learning session this saturday and wanted to clarify that. I even simulated two rounds with four players to see if I got the rules right. The starting inventions got produced right away, while the 5 bonus action markers each player gets are a real boon in the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike iapezzuto
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where do you get the 5 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.