James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In December 2009, a made-for-TV Christmas movie premiered on the ABC Family cable channel which, although it had the angst of a Christmas B theatrical movie, nonetheless ranked as the #1 cable program during its timeslot, and the #1 cable film of the season with 4.0 million viewers.

I"m talking about "The Dog Who Saved Christmas" whose Wikipedia entry says it came off as a combination of "Home Alone" Meets "Look Who's Talking." As for its plot...

Wikipedia wrote:
Zeus, a Labrador Retriever and a former police dog (voiced by Mario López), has lost his bark after his barking ended up blowing off a five-year investigation and his partner can't shoot straight again and ends up at the pound. He is adopted by a father (played by Gary Valentine) as both an early Christmas present and as a good guard dog for the house, but the mom (played by Elisa Donovan) is hesitant and didn't want a dog. The dog is left alone on Christmas Eve when the family head off to visit Grandma's house. A pair of burglars (Dean Cain and Joey Diaz) break into the family home, and it is up to Zeus to save Christmas for his new family.

Now, why am I am recommending this silly made-for-TV Christmas movie for B Movie Card Game Series owners?

When I saw the movie poster created for "The Dog Who Saved Christmas", it sort of melted my heart because Zeus the Labrador Retriever with his little doggy Santa cap on looks remarkably like the little stuffed tree-ornament toy of Skippy the Wonder Dog in his little doggy Santa cap that comes in the tin card box for "Silent But Deadly Night"."

Anyway, since this cornball flick comes as close to the B Christmas movie spirit as ya can get and seems to have its goofy, satirical heart in the right place (much like the 1991 heroic dogs spoof movie "Bingo"), it should provide ya some inspirational ideas about how to use Skippy The Wonder Dog in your own Christmas B movie card game. (When we play the game, players provide an ongoing movie narrative to seemingly justify our improbable plot developments.) Here's a 2009 preview clip below for "The Dog Who Saved Christmas":

"The Dog Who Saved Christmas" will be rebroadcast on the ABC Family Channel cable channel at 6 p.m. EST / 5 p.m. CST on Sunday, November 28th.

Its sequel, "The Dog Who Saved Christmas Vacation" , premieres right after it at 8 p.m. EST / 7 p.m. CST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.