Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing around with various ideas for Squad Level Games in Memoir'44 using the Breakthrough Boards, and I have seen a lot of reference to only allowing Grenades to hit in Close Assault.

I set up the Pegasus Bridge Scenario, using the Air Pack version, with Night rules in effect, to try out the above rule. Whilst it did extend the playing time slightly, I didn't think it unbalanced anything, so I took it one step further.

I am not sure this would fit into Platoon or Company level scenarios, I'm thinking more in terms of Squad level play, hence testing with Pegasus Bridge, but as with any House Rule / Variant it is optional, ignore it if you don't like it.

Close Combat vs Assault.

Unless Stated otherwise, Grenades DO NOT count as hits in Ranged Attacks.

If you Battle an Adjacent Enemy Unit you MUST declare if this is "Close Range Combat" or an "Assault on the Position".

In "Close Range Combat" Grenades DO NOT count as a Hit. If the Defender is eliminated or retreats the attacker MAY take ground, but may NOT Over Run Attack.

In an "Assault on the Position", grenades DO count as Hits BUT if the Defender is eliminated or retreats, the Attacker MUST Take ground, and if eligible MAY Over Run Attack. An Over Run Attack against a new Adjacent Unit, as a result of Taking Ground, MAY also be declared as an Assault but no Additional Over Run Attack is allowed if the Second Assault is successful, the unit MUST however take ground if it was declared as a follow up assault.

Artillery may never Assault a Position but always hits on grenades

As simple as the change is it actually has a major impact on play.
In the test games we played it really upped the tension level, and fun factor, in a few Situations.

The two most obvious are that Units Dug In behind Sandbags or in Bunkers have to decide if they want to rush the Enemy in Close Assault, increasing their chances of success but potentially Losing their Dug In status. The second is when holding a temporary Medal location. Do you hold the Location with Close range Fire, or do you take the chance of losing the Temporary Medal by engaging the Enemy in Hand To Hand Combat?

It certainly creates more reason to assault Bunkers and sandbags rather than using long range attrition, but it can also lead to a trap. If the sandbagged Unit chooses not to ignore the first flag. You are forced to take ground and may well end up surrounded on 3 sides.

It worked for us, but we have only tested in 3 scenarios so far. If you like the Grenades only hit adjacent Rule, give this version a try instead.

Edits for Spelling, Grammar & Clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/53105/scribs-m44-one-p...

Great minds! There's a couple more tweaks in here you might be interested in or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Motta
Brazil
Araranguá
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this idea. Summariring would be this:

Normal Attacks = No Granades. No Take Ground. No Overrun.

Assaults = Granades score hits. Must Take Ground. May Overrun.
(can olny be made against adjacent terrains)

If an Assaulting unit fails to eliminate or retreat the defending unit, the defending unit may immediately
Battle Back with its normal number of dice.

If the defender unit Firing Back roll a Flag, the defender does not Take Ground.

If the attacker rolls Flag and defender unit retreat, the defender does not Fire Back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.