Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just played an enjoyable 2pl game last evening.. have a question about the oil price spike. the US had gulf, indonesia, turkey, and jordan at good governance... 9 good resources. turn earlier US got oil price spike and was 1 pip away from an auto win on a failed WoI... gulf and indonesia gave the US +2 good resources.... next turn US gets another oil price spike, goes into deck and replays the previous spike.. giving US an autowin with good governance in only these 4 countries... just curious, during playtesting, did this scenario come up often? it seems that both players need to really watch the oil countries.. it really only takes 2 adjacent 1 resource oil countries for the jiahdist to get IR to six if he gets to see an oil spike if 1 has already been buried.... 1 in the deck after 1st played and play the other event to dig the other from the discard pile. it can work both ways, however, and would prevent the jihadist from using the event if US had a good oil country position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The Oil Price Spike event may not be used to pick up another Oil Price Spike card. Card text prohibits this.

Yes, it did come up in Playtesting and card wording was altered to disallow it.

-Joel

EDIT: It IS legal for one player to play both Oil Price Spike cards in the course of a turn in the unlikely event he drew them both. In this case, EACH Oil Price Spike card would cause the Resource value of each Oil Country to be increased by +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Oil Price Spike question... when exactly does its effect end?

If it is during the Removed Lapsing Events step, then Oil Price Spike cannot affect end-game scoring (deck exhaustion occurs a couple of steps later). I think that is probably the right answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Another Oil Price Spike question... when exactly does its effect end?

All Lapsing Event cards are removed from the Lapsing boxes during the Event Lapse and 1st Plot Reset step of the Sequence of Play. BUT, this does not constitute the end of the Event's effect.

6.2.7 clearly states that a Lapsing Event's effects linger until the end of the Turn in which it is played. (See also 4.7.7.3 for an example where a card is removed from a LAPSING or 1st Plot Box, but the effect of that card remains in play.) So, Oil Price Spike will impact end-game scoring.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joel.. i did realize after re-reading the text on the card this morning that we played that wrong...it was a late night of gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Volko and I discussed things and decided to amend the text of 5.2.6 (Event Lapse and 1st Plot Reset).

Add, "All Lapsing event effects end at this moment."

NOTE: This reverses my earlier ruling (above). I added this to the Errata/Clarifications file (see link to Google Document).

Sorry for the confusion.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies as well. The wording that I used for "Lapsing" under 6.2.7 was poor. I'm hoping that the added 5.2.6 text clarifies my intent.

The upshot is to follow the End of Turn sequence on the game board precisely, so that "Oil Price Spike" can at times produce an instant victory (2.1) if one side is doing really well, but will not affect end-of-deck victory (2.3) when the two sides are close enough to have gotten there. The latter would be too luck dependent for my taste.

Sorry about the confusion--at least the errata still fit on a single page, and the rules errata that matter easily so. Thanks for raising the questions about "Oil Price Spike". Regards, vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.