Popular Tags: [View All]
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Overview

Solitaire ASL is the solo-play addon for ASL. I owned both the 1st and 2nd edition rules for this, so please forgive me as I'm definitely going to be mixing both of the version together I'm sure in this review.

Solitaire ASL was based on a programmed opponent that could react to different things based on what you were doing and a series of charts (it is ASL after all...).

The game comes with a number of new counters specifically designed for the solitaire version and of course the requisite rules chapter for your binder.

Gameplay

The Gameplay is pretty straight forward ASL from the player's prospective.

The Gameplay is VERY complicated from the "AI" prospective. Because the team at AH and later MMP wanted to create a reactive enemy force they incorporated a number of precepts into the game that would initiate die-rolls vs. a table.

The problem is that this becomes very dice heavy for pretty mediocre pay-off. Essentially what happens all the time is the the enemy either under-commits or over-commits to your strategy making it a sometimes challenging, but ultimately predictable game.

I like ASL vs. people myself, but this game did provide me a great opportunity to review the game and try out new unit combos as well as explore some of the map areas that I hadn't exploited. The problem, as stated, is that the programmed charts (better in the 2nd edition than the 1st) provide competent situations for the AI to take advantage of strategic objectives, but not necessarily as well as a human would.

ASL is extremely complex, even stripped down to just Infantry and Support Weapons. Without a human on the other side of the geomorphic board...it's just not the same.

Final Verdict

A VERY worthy attempt, but ultimately leaves the player wanting more. I have friends that LOVE solitaire ASL, but I just don't think it provides a good enough solution for solo play with ASL. Considering that VASL always has an opponent online means that the applicability of this module has decreased because of the consistent availability of opponents online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.