Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Pierotte
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've read several posts from wargamers who use sheets of clear plastic to cover their maps. (To smooth out the creases, protect the map, etc.) My question: What's the best place to shop for them?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Petty
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
The material is plexiglass. Just call or check any hardware store or big home improvement store (I haven't bought any myself but my understanding is that it is available in a variety of thicknesses and that you would have them cut it to size)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
The plexiglass you get in a hardware store will probably be fairly thick and quite heavy. Some people like that, because it really flattens the maps. But if you want something lighter, I recommend getting a cheap 24x36 inch poster frame--you can get them at Walmart. As a bonus, you can store your flat maps in the poster frames, if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A typical wargame map measures 22" x 34". The aforementioned poster frame from a Walmart or Hobby Lobby will handle that, and costs about $10.

Any Lowe's or Home Depot can sell you a thin sheet of plexiglass to cover a map for about $12.

I had them cut two sheets to cover my entire game table (which can handle three wargame maps, aligned upright, side-by-side), and it ran me about $30, I think.

It's great for other games like Settlers...once the board is revealed I place the plexiglass on it and it stays put.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Pierotte
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of figured home improvement/hardware stores were the best bet. I guess I'll be heading to Home Depot this weekend.
Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.