Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So ive been back into board games the past couple years somewhat heavily and bgg has been an amazing resource and example of an amazing community and website.

Now, people who played e PC game will be able to relate but I will try and make it straight forward.

Stronghold is a game of managing resources and building armies and castles to siege other castles.

What I am looking for is a game that emulated my favorite part, the resource management.

Example

In order to train mace men. I needed to have a cow farm (which also gave me cheese to feed my peeps) where my tanner could go, slaughter the cow, them turn its hide Into leather armor for my mace men!

Another example

I build a wheat farm, farmer takes the wheat the stock pile, then a couple of guys from the windmill took the wheat from said stockpile back to the mill, turned it into flower, back to the stock pile, then my bakers would go to the stockpile, get the flour and turn it into bread back at their bakeries to feed my people!!

Now BGG I ask you, what game out there has something like this?
Agricola isn't cutting it for me as I don't like how desperate you feel, and puerto Rico is far to dry in theme.

Help!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuland is exactly that but if you think Puerto Rico is too dry... Well then, maybe this isn't such a good recommendation... Also the rules are unplayable out of the box, you need to learn how to play with either the rules from the first edition or from the amazing files here on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
This may seem like a stretch, but I think the way building works in Viktory II. Your resources are tied directly to your army. It's implemented simply and gives a nice connection between the land you control and the armies you are able to field or, one could imagine, the castles you build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See if there's anything you can borrow from my attempt at the board game version of stronghold...

http://www.bookranger.co.uk/SHTypeGame/StrongholdTypeGame.ht...

I tried to simplify the troop types and the castle building. I found the tech tree a little too simple to be enjoyable.

Let me know if it's any help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resource gathering in Stronghold is more abstracted than what you are describing, but I'd say it's definitely worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you want is Le Havre. You are managing a dock trying to develop the most wealth. You have basic resources that can be upgraded. Wood initially can be used to build certain buildings and ships or be burned to provide 1 energy for certain building actions. You can use a building to upgrade, which can be owned by a player or the city. If you use a building you do not own, you pay either the player of the bank to use it. In a certain building you can, for instance, turn your wood into charcoal. As charcoal you cannot use it to build, but it provides double the energy. You can do similar things with other resources. Cattle can be slaughtered. For every two you slaughter in the correct building you get 2 meat and 1 hide. The meat can be used to feed your workers at the end of the round and the hide can later be turned into leather which can be sold at a higher price.

Le Havre is in the same family of games as Agricola, so it might not be up your alley. I have never played Agricola though so I don't know how different the two are. I've just started playing Le Havre, only 1.5 games under my belt, but I am really enjoying it. The nice thing is every decision you make seems like a good one. You either get free goods, or turn your resources into more valuable resources or property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Payne
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with Primary and Secondary [and Tertiary?] Goods / Resources
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but am reminded of what I have read of Vanished Planet. Use resources to get personnel which allow you to develop technology which can be used to create equipment.

Completely different theme, of course, being set in space and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilde wrote:
I've just started playing Le Havre, only 1.5 games under my belt, but I am really enjoying it. The nice thing is every decision you make seems like a good one.

This is exactly why I dislike Le Havre. It's too "easy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
Help!?

Roads & Boats has exactly that type of economy. It's a logistical game. There are no armies, however. It's pure economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions so far everyone thank you, I am looking them all up. But really nothing much on the conflict side of things eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.