Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
On the last turn of a very tense game of Labyrinth today, my friend and I might have followed the rules incorrectly. The USA had 4 resources at Good Governance (Gulf States, Afghanistan) and I was trying to build up enough cells to perform a major Jihad in Egypt. Both of us drew 8 cards, exhausting the decks but just enough to not cause a reshuffle and prematurely end the game. Right before my final two action rounds, the US played FSM as an event. This event had the US draw two cards, which would have resulted in a reshuffle. I only rolled only one hit on the Major Jihad and lost the game anyway (no Islamic resources vs. four good), but after the game I realized the reshuffle should have ended the game right away (5.3.1)?

I just wanted a little clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steven. Yes, 5.3.1 immediately ends the game whenever it applies, including in the midst of an Action Phase.

I was in a similar situation in my last game with my son (I posted a couple photos on this site, with brief AARs) -- in our last hand of cards with zero cards in the deck.

I was the US and had gotten to 7 Good, he had just successfully overthrown the Gulf States for 3 Islamist Rule. As the US, I was holding the jihadist event "Abu Ghurayb", which--because there was a Regime Change situation on the board (in Egypt)--I could have triggered to force him to draw 2 cards and end the game there

Unfortunately for me (and my ambition finally to beat him at my own game!), I missed that play and instead tried to increase my buffer of good countries with a (barely failed) War of Ideas in Jordan. He was then able to carry out a Major Jihad in Saudi (where he had been sending cells from the Gulf States) and win an immediate victory due to 6 Islamist Rule resources including 2 adjacent countries (2.1.2).

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your response! After rereading 5.3.1 it looked like a mid-turn reshuffle would immediately end the game, but I just wanted to make sure. It sounds like your end-game was just as close ours. I had slowly undermined my friend’s resource dominance over a few turns (He was at one point up to 9 good resources: Iraq, Gulf States, Pakistan, Afghanistan). I should have tried to overthrow Egypt during the second to last turn, but I feared that the US player would regime change and then there still would be enough cards for us to play another turn.

Thank you again for taking time out of your day to respond. I love your game and this is one more rule that increases the tension of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.