BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Oceania question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
I've played this once & have a question:

Do the tiles that are placed in the top row of the board need to have white-dashed lines going off of the board even though you are not allowed to start your ship there (and even though there are no white-dashed lines on the top of the board)? The pictures on pp. 3 & 4 in the rule book (and the picture uploaded here by Grimwold) show white-dashed lines going off each edge tile onto all four sides of the board in (top, bottom, & the two sides of the board) - even though there are no white-dashed lines on the top of the board itself. I assume there are not white-dashed lines on the top of the board itself to remind players that they may not start the ship there.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I mention Grimwold's picture because it has all legal tile placement so is a good example of game-play...several other pictures uploaded to the Oceania entry have illegal tile placements so can't be referred to for an answer to my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is certainly my understanding of the game from having read the rules (e.g. paragraph 2 of section 2 Exploring) and having played the solo version numerous times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fofluff wrote:
I've played this once & have a question:

Do the tiles that are placed in the top row of the board need to have white-dashed lines going off of the board even though you are not allowed to start your ship there (and even though there are no white-dashed lines on the top of the board)?

After 2 plays of Oceania and thus earning the highly coveted title of Expertus Oceanus , it is true that there is no entry allowed from the northern edge, however "exiting" the northern edge is implicitly allowed, otherwise there could be no legal tile placement possible along the top of the map board.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe this concept would be easier had the manufacturers added dotted lines (but no circle) to the top of the board.

You cannot put the open end of an island against the top row so basically every tile on the top row will have dotten lines on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You cannot put the open end of an island against the top row so basically every tile on the top row will have dotten lines on top.

I don't recall that and haven't played it that way...is it in the rules and I've blown by it?

My understanding is that you can play an island tile that goes off any edge of the map. You just won't be able to complete or scor that island as it can never be ...well, completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!! I just looked at all of the tiles & now see that all of the tile edges that are "water only" do have dashed lines - I could have sworn there were some that did not blush I do feel foolish. So, my question was covered in the rules - thanks for clearing up my confusion, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oceania is at war with Eurasia.

Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.